Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. George Hillier Parr The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 18th Bn.

hparr123

Hi all,

George was wounded on the 13th of June 1917.

Does anyone know what the 18th Battalion were doing at this point in time? Where in Belgium would he of been wounded?

Any help would be much appreciated

King Regards

Harry

The war diary might be available on Ancestry or , if available from TNA it can be downloaded for £3.30. It is unlikely that he will be named but the diary should tell you where he was.

The War Diary can be downloaded from The National Archives for £3.30:

18 Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment | The National Archives

There are 2 earlier posts by hparr123 for George Hillier Parr. Can the GWF moderators/administrators merge all three?

Pte. George Hillier Parr #16260 The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 18 - Soldiers - Great War Forum

Need Help With Medical Officer Report Writing (by Gillian Dudley) - Soldiers - Great War Forum

JP

The battalion were not in action at this time and were camped around Ypres, preparing for the coming battle. Only one soldier from the 18th was killed on that day and he is buried at Railway Dugout at Zillebeke. A week later, another five of his comrades were killed and they are also buried near Zillebeke or Dickebusch. These were areas where soldiers were camped and my guess is that any casualties could have been caused by the Germans shelling the back areas.

Ian

I don't have a copy of the war diary but would concur with Ian's view from my reading of Wyrall's history of the KLR. The book states very little about the 18th around that time other than at some point they were at Canal Reserve camp. In a footnote, however, it is stated that 2LT A W Brown of 18th King's was also wounded on 13 June 1917. There may be some link there.

Reg

The battalion were not in action at this time and were camped around Ypres, preparing for the coming battle. Only one soldier from the 18th was killed on that day and he is buried at Railway Dugout at Zillebeke. A week later, another five of his comrades were killed and they are also buried near Zillebeke or Dickebusch. These were areas where soldiers were camped and my guess is that any casualties could have been caused by the Germans shelling the back areas.

Ian

I don't have a copy of the war diary but would concur with Ian's view from my reading of Wyrall's history of the KLR. The book states very little about the 18th around that time other than at some point they were at Canal Reserve camp. In a footnote, however, it is stated that 2LT A W Brown of 18th King's was also wounded on 13 June 1917. There may be some link there.

Reg

post-125333-0-66693900-1451305147_thumb.