Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Sick Berth Reserve. Any records out there?

potty5

Dear forum members, I am researching 4 members of the St. John Ambulance from Crewe who joined the Royal Naval Sick Berth Reserve. They were Senior Attendants when they lost their lives in January 1915. Are there any records out there about their service in the Sick Berth Reserve (dates when joined, certificates etc.) There is nothing on their service records. For the record they are M10984 HENRI VILLIERS RUSSELL, M10985 JOHN VILLIERS RUSSELL, M10986 ALBERT EDWARD KINLAY, and M10987 JAMES BURNELL. Any info would be gratefully received. Best wishes, Mark

All have service records in ADM188 at the National Archives. These are downloadable for a fee, here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7046179

this first ref is for H V Russell, and you can subsequently obtain the other 3 by changing the digits on the end of the D number to 80 for JVR, 81 for AEK and 82 for JB.

Sorry but these service records don't give any info regarding being members of the Sick Berth Reserve which is the info I am after. Thanks for your reply.

Might be worth googling Haslar Heritage and asking - I think Eric knows a researcher or two.

They would have probably been called-up on 1st August 1914 (i.e. a few days ahead of general mobilization). Henri Russell and his twin brother John along with the other two men were serving as Senior Reserve Attendants in the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve on the battleship H.M.S. "Formidable" when on New Year's Day, 1915 she was sunk by two torpedoes fired from German submarine U24 off Portland Bill resulting in the death of 35 officers, 512 men and a dog.

Michael