Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert Sudbury Hall

Chris Caul

There's a headstone in Matlock cemetery in Derbyshire that will be of interest to this forum. It reads:

Gilbert Sudbury Hall

2nd Lieutenant and Flying Officer in the Royal Flying Corps.

His biplane was shot down on November 20th 1916 and on the 30th he died from the injuries he had received. He was interred by the enemy with military honours in the cemetery of Notre Dame, Cambrai, France.

Chris

Local paper gave his address as Greenleigh, Matlock.

Had been a keen motor cyclist of some repute, having won many hill climbing and speed contests in various parts of the country. At least one enemy plane shot down.

Died as a result of a fractured skull whilst POW in Germany (as reported)

Stuart

Hi Chris,

Is this in St Giles Church Cemetery. I have seen the Headstone for Wildgoose but I haven't seen this one.

I was in Matlock at the weekend visiting my Mother in Law and will be visiting again in the next couple of weeks and I would like to see it.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Martyn

Stuart,

thanks for the additional info.

Martyn,

yes, its in St Giles cemetery. A fairly large greyish headstone with a pointed top (a family one -not cwgc). Unfortunately can't remember exactly where. I do have a photo of it, but the connection speed is really slow at the moment, and you will probably want to see it 'in the flesh' anyway.

Chris.

Chris

This might be old news, but in case it isn't . . .

2Lt G S Hall was the pilot of FE 2b 4848 of No 18 Sqn RFC, with 2Lt G Doughty as observer, when he was shot down south east of Guedecourt on 20 November 1916. 2Lt Hall died of wounds, while 2Lt Doughty was killed in action. A victory was credited to Ltn Manfred von Richthofen of Jasta 2 who was flying Albatros D.II Nr 491/16; the victory was the 10th of his eventual 80.

A photograph of 2Lt Gilbert Sudbury Hall is below.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

post-25-1101297860.jpg

Gareth,

Thanks very much for the info, especially the photo. I didn't know anything about him when I posted the message: I just came across the headstone in the cemetery and thought it would be of interest to people who uses this forum.

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris

To complete things, a photograph of an FE 2b of No 18 Sqn RFC, similar to the machine that 2Lt Hall would have flown, is below. The observer sat in the front, and the pilot was above and behind him.

The aeroplane depicted is 6937, which was shot down, perhaps by anti-aircraft fire, on 22 September 1916. The pilot, Sgt Thomas Jones of Walton-le-Dale, Lancashire, died of wounds, while the observer, 2Lt F A A Hewson, was wounded and taken PoW.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1101330179.jpg