Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambusnethan, Newmains and Moringside, Central Scotland

Swally

Hurrah!

After 15 months work of researching the men of Cambusnethan, Newmains, Morningside and Coltness Estates, who served during the Great War 1914 - 1919, my books have now been published.

In these books I have attempted to expand on the few details provided on the memorial to give a better understanding of the lives of those who died. By drawing together information from a variety of sources, local newspapers, military service records, war grave databases, official government archives and The Cambusnethan Parish Peace Souvenir, it is possible to build portraits, however fragmentary, of the civilian lives of these people and their experiences during the war. These portraits vary in depth but can, perhaps, still teach us something of the generation of a century ago. There is also information on others who served but, who managed to survive. Letters from the Press (until reporting restrictions were imposed) have been included, men's pictures and also headstones, where available, have been included.

The detailed descriptions all follow the same format (where information has been available) with a personal history of each individual, such as place and date of birth, parents’ names, occupations and so on. I have included pictures from local churches and various memorials, perhaps not seen by the general public.

Now that these books have been published it is hoped that people will come forward with more photographs, memorabilia and stories of the men who served from the Cambusnethan, Newmains, Morningside and Coltness Estates area, whether they died or not, which can be added to the project. As time passes, memories fade. If we are not minded to preserve them they will soon be lost forever and future generations will not learn of, and from, the past.

These books have been written, not for profit but to preserve the sacrifice these men made.

The books are priced

Cambusnethan £8
Newmains £8
Morningside £6

These are available either from me, The Horse & Anchor, Lanarkshire Family History Society, Motherwell or hopefully North Lanarkshire Libraries.

Copies will also be available within the libraries of Coltness High School, St Aidan's High School and Clyde Valley High School.

Copies will be available (reference only) in Newmains & Wishaw Libraries.

Thanks,

Swally

• 6 months later...

Hello Swally,

I called in to Wishaw Library looking for your book but could not find it. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.

My grandfather Joseph Smith from Castlehill Fues (Sneddon Rows), went off to the Great War. I have a few photos of his army group if you are interested.

He was cousin to the five Greer brothers from CastleHill Fues who also went off to fight. His sister Mary Smith married cousin John Greer.

As you know, John won a Military Medal. According to my mother a local landowner rewarded him by allowing him to take rabbits from his land at leisure.

You can contact me directly on ' aak1957  at  yahoo.co.uk ' .

Regards,

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Allan,

ive sent you an email,Molokai forward to hearing from you.

ta,

Swally