Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain John Westcott, 9th Battalion Tank Corps

dgibson150

The above soldier was awarded the MC for the battle of Sauvillers/Moreuil in July 1918 when he was Battalion Reconnaissance Officer. Subsequently he became Adjutant of the 9th Battalion, a post he relinquished in February 1919. I have not been able to find his MIC, either on Ancestry or the National Archives. Similarly I cannot find him on the Tank Corps Medal Rolls on Ancestry. How can this be?

His service record is available in the National Archives, but have not been able to look at these records yet.

David

He doesn't get a mention in the WD. The only reference to him in the Bn history is to record that he was injured on 28 Nov 17 ivo Fontaine.

He is in the War Diary of the 9th as a Lt with 25th Coy as their Recon Officer and again receiving a MC as a Capt

I believe he also received the Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur

17Tankman

Blimey, I missed that.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I had overlooked the fact that officers had to apply. I wonder however how the process actually worked. I have seen references on MIC's re lists supplied by various command groups but do not know whether these are the lists against which individuals' applications are checked or if these are actually the applications themselves. Could it have been a clerical error that Westcott missed out?

Maybe his service record will shed some more light.

David