Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access around Beaucourt sur l'Ancre 1 July 2016

Ancre1917

Does anyone know if the exclusion zone around Thiepval will extend to Beaucourt sur l'Ancre and nearby villages on 1 July 2016? We are staying in Beaucourt and want to drive across to the Carnoy and Maricourt area to be there by 6.30 am. If someone could give me a link to the French government site that deals with this, I would be very grateful.

Richard

I suspect that this has not been decided yet.

BEWARE, and be VERY AWARE that, if you are on the road in narrow roads, and happen to meet coming to towards you at speed, a very big black limo with a certain Royal Person in it, drive in to the ditch before the limo driver rams you. Seriously, it happened to me during the last 'big' occasion and I have witnesses to prove it. Being scared out of my wits was the least of my worries. What did the Royal Person say? SFA!! Probably never noticed. HIS driver never stopped.

In case you ask, I did think of writing a letter but the thought of my head being detached from my body with an axe worried me a bit.

Paul Reed who posts as @sommecourt on Twitter posted a map yesterday from The Department Media Of Culture of the CWGC cemeteries that will be closed during Somme 100 commemorations.

I don't know how to post a link to Twitter. I have tried googling but can't find the map anywhere else.

Mandy

Here is the map. Apparently Green = Closed.

post-61373-0-83949000-1450515465_thumb.j

Here we go again! Absolute chaos.It won't just Cemeteries, but roads as well. I am just glad I won't be in France at that time. I was on the Somme 10 years ago and fairly chaotic it was too. Probably best avoided.

I really wanted to be on the Somme next July but have decided time in the Argonne will be better.

TT

• 2 weeks later...