The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment - whereabouts

SKBob

Could someone just put me in the picture where the 19th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment were in July / August 1917 and again just before and on the day of the March offensive (21st March 1918). Some of the stuff I have been reading seems to conflict - do I take the battalion diary as fact ?

Thanks Bob

Graham Maddocks' well researched book "Liverpool Pals" says that the 19th Bn were in Divisional Reserve but were called into action on the 31st July and by the late afternoon had reached Maple Copse. They were relieved on the evening of 3rd/ 4th August and made their way to rest at Brandhoek. At 5 a.m. on 21st March, 1918, the 19th were at Vaux. By the evening, they had been ordered to move forward from Germaine at 23.30 and mount a counter-attack on the newly captured German positions at Roupy the next day.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian. My apologies, it appears now that I have been advised incorrectly and the chap I am looking at (Jessie Willie Hall) was in the 13th Battalion. Looking at CWGC the facing page shows 1st August 1918 whilst the associated Graves Registration page shows 21st August 1918 - clerical error ?

Thanks again

Bob

I've had a look at the CWGC site and I don't think there's any doubt that the date of death is the 21st. The 13th KLR were, by 1918, part of the 9th Brigade in the 3rd Division and took part in the Second Battle of the Somme which began on the 21st August. The 3rd Division took Courcelles-le-Comte on that day and casualties were buried there.

Ian

Lovely job thanks. Yes I thought it was more likely to be 21st. Must read up on the 3rd Division attack etc

Bob