Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The National Library Scotland: Digital WW1 Trench Maps.

Willh1664

Hello,

I've just come across a great resource for anyone after maps of trenches in certain areas of the front from 1914 to 1918. I find these used along side unit/ divisional diaries are a great combination for accurately mapping the movement of certain units.

http://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/index.htmlis the link to the national libary website.

Any questions, just ask.

Will

Yes. Thanks very much.

Hazel C.

If you open the 'Maps' forum and enter "maps.nls.uk' in the 'Search' box you will find a wealth of information on the National Library of Scotland.

Will

May I suggest you amend the thread title to accurately reflect the name of the organisation - the National Library of Scotland. It'll assist folk using th esearch facility and, indeed, anyone Googling.

By the by, the NLS has a wealth of resources related to the war, including a good selection of photographs. They are prepared to licence these for use in , say, books and a much more competittive rate than the IWM (although not as competitive as either the Australian or Canadian archives which regard their collection as out of copyright and free for anyone to use )

John

Will

You should be able to click on your original post and then hit "edit". If that doesnt work, click on "report" to send a message to the mods asking them to make the change for you.

Hope you didnt mind me raising it. I'm not usually fussed about typos but I think it can be important in a thread title.

John

Great link indeed - many thanks, Will.

• 8 months later...

Indeed Will, what a brilliant source, just used it for the first time today.

Thank you.

Roger t'other one.