Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William John Hopton

hannahmariaspencer

I am researching an ancestor called William John Hopton. He died in 1961 in Derby, his death certificate has him down aged 76 when he died, meaning he was born in 1885, his marriage certificate from 1950 had him down aged 62, meaning he was born in 1888 so there is 3 years difference between the 2 documents. I don't know where he was born all I know is that from 1920 he was living in Derby up until his death. His wife, with which he lived with as a married couple (her first husband was still alive) was from Birmingham, they had3 sons William Hopton Jnr born June 1920, Robert Hopton April 1922 and Ronald Hopton June 1928. On the birth certificate of his first son his occupation is Ex-Army. My grandmother told me that he suffered with shell-shock and would often have flash backs of being back in the trenches. Later on in life his occupation is listed as a labourer at the Railway. From his marriage certificate he lists his father as William John Hopton, Labourer (Salvage Department) but no clue as to a location.

When reviewing the war medal records I can see a Pte. William J Hopton 2nd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, 12370. I was wondering if anyone had any further information that may help me confirm if this is indeed the same William Hopton.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hannah H.

Hi Hannah,

Looks like his service records were probably lost in the Blitz in 1941, unless he stayed serving after 1920, (from what you know of him that doesn’t sound likely). For soldiers who stayed in post war then service records would be with the Ministry of Defence.

The Gloucestershire Regiment museum does have an on-line database.

http://www.glosters.org.uk/soldiersearch/

However for William all it has to add is that he served with the 2nd Battalion, which presumably you knew from the Medal Index Card. They may have other information relating to him, so maybe worth contacting them.

It does not look like there is a birth of a William John (or a John William), recorded anywhere in England and Wales during the period 1882 – 1892, although there is a William James whose birth was recorded in Gloucester in Q2 1884. And worth throwing in the mix is a William J, born circa 1884, whose death was registered in the Gloucester District in Q2 1957. Could be two entirely different individuals but if not he seems a more likely match for the Gloucestershire Regiment man. You can rule him out as a candidate for your relative as there is a William born Gloucester circa 1884 on the 1891 & 1901 & 1911 census which records his father as a Thomas.

Presumably you have a copy of the full death certificate – does that not give place of birth?

Regards,

Peter

• Admin

Unfortunately the Medal Rolls lists 12370 as Hopton William Ja, not definitive but a bit of a problem. The number of this man dates from late August 1914 which suggests local enlistment. Again not definitive but it means it's less likely to be your man. His dob is about right I found a reference in local newspapers when William J Hopton a bricklayer Moreton Street Cheltenham was convicted of stealing in 1913.

In the 1911 Census listed as William James Hopton a bricklayer born abt. 1886

I think he's more likely to be the Gloucestershire Regiment man than your ancestor.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your input. I have searched the 1939 register today and his DOB is listed as 30th May 1887, his name is just down as William Hopton, no reference of John as his middle name (this is on this death cert and marriage cert). I am now wondering if he is the William Hopton who was in the Royal Engineers, Inland Water and Transport Corp. From the census records it does show that this William Hopton's father is also called William Hopton, which is in line with my William Hopton's Marriage certificate. William spent his later life working for the railway, which William Hopton b1887 Hereford was working for the railway in 1911 and this could explain why the Royal Engineers?