Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headquarters Gymnasium, Aldershot

fwwjournal

I have a postcard that is titled "No. 5 Class Headquarter Gymnasium Aldershot. October 1915". Searching the web (& ebay) I have found several similar cards of different classes. See example of No.4 Class June 1915.

There are 20 men, plus someone who may be an instructor, posed in 3 rows with a couple of rifles fitted with bayonets plus head protection in front of them. Included within the picture is my grandfather (who pre-war had been a gymnast and instructor). I also have two postcards showing Aldershot Headquarters and the Gymasium, both cards written by my grandfather and dated 8 & 17 October 1915. My grandfather is one of the men, not the central 'instructor figure'.

October 1915 my grandfather was a Lance-Corporal with the Cheshire Yeomanry, who were in Norfolk on coastal defence work at the time.

Would this have been a class being taught bayonet fighting (plus other drill?); the men then returing to their Regiments to instruct troops?

David

I've figured out that my grandfather while in Aldershot in October 1915 was likely to have been undergoing a course of physical and bayonet training there preparatory to becoming an instructor. The Army School of Physical and Bayonet Training was based at Aldershot where it instructed officers and non-commissioned officers in physical drill and bayonet work sufficiently so that they could teach essentials to the rank and file. I have added a note and pictures on the subject to my blog page.

David