Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Robb Cox

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

Does anyone know the movements of the above mentioned officer ex RNAS RAF after the war??

Thanks in advance

Andrew

And if someone can come up with a photograph of the slippery little so'n'so I'd be greatly obliged!! I spent three years searching for a photograph!

His mug shot is even missing from his RAeC "ticket" at the RAF Museum.

By the way Andrew, The only Australian connection that I could find was that he was sacked from No.10 Squadron by the Australian C.O., Bert Bell, who wasn't prepared to put up with his excuses.

If anyone else is interested, he was born at Hildenborough, Kent, 16th December, 1896. When he joined up he was resident at Taullan, Dolgelley, North Wales.

On the staff at Chingford and then Cranwell until posted tp France early in 1917, where he spent two weeks with the fledgling 9 Squadron RNAS, and then three months with No.10 Squadron, and three months with no.2 Squadron. Then back to Cranwell. He was awarded the Air Force Cross on 1st Jan 1919.

After that I have nothing.

Mike

G'day Mike,

I still have a bloke telling me that Cox had a Queensland connection. I have no photo either, but I will ask Windy at the FAA Museum in Nowra. Did you get my email regarding INC Clarke's death?

Regards,

Andrew.

Re Clarke - Yes thanks Andrew, sorry, a bit tardy getting back.

Mike

G'day Mike,

I have a new ISP and i wanted to make sure you got it, some of my emails have gone west.

Regards,

Andrew.

PS I hoped it helped you with Clarke as his post war activities were a mystery to all that researched him.

PS I hoped it helped you with Clarke as his post war activities were a mystery to all that researched him.

Oh yes indeed, thanks Andrew. Any idea what happened to his great wartime friend St. John?

Mike

p.s. Cox is obviously only of interest to us two! I've got him again as the history of Naval 9 will be started as soon as I can get Naval 6 put to bed.

Oh yes indeed, thanks Andrew. Any idea what happened to his great wartime friend St. John?

Mike

G'day Mike,

I am not familiar with St. John, he is obviously not an Aussie :-), what is his full name and I will track him down.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew - you're up early!

Flt.Obs Ronald George St. John, he was Clarke's observer in No.5 Squadron and went with him to 6 and then 206.

According to Blanford or Rowe (can't remember which) they were inseperable. Most photographs of Clarke have St. John in shot.

As you say, not an Aussie, not sure where he's from as its not on his RNAS papers - he had prior service in the RNVR, and they frequently skipped half of the details on the RNAS papers in cases like this.

Mike

G'day Mike,

I found a George Ronald St John, who died in Burmah of Blackwater Fever on March 21, 1940. He was the second son of Sir Frederick St. John K.C.M.G. and Lady St. John. He served with distinction in the First war with the Naval Air Force and was decorated with the DSC for gallantry.

I think this is your bloke.

I am not up early mate, it is 10:12 Am in Sydney as I write this.

If you want a copy of the above let me know and i will email it to you.

Take care,

Andrew.

it is 10:12 Am in Sydney as I write this.

Morning then Andrew! I never was any good at maths!

Yes please to the e-mail copy. What source did you find that in?

Cheers,

Mike

G'day Mike,

My wife would argue that 10 AM is early for me!!

I have sent you an email explaining all.

Regards,

Andrew.