Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Records

Ferguson73uk

What would have happened to the medical records of officers who were being treated for neuasthenia in the officers' hospitals in the UK? The two I'm thinking about, the Maudsley and Oulton Hall no longer have them (Oulton Hall is an hotel now). Would the doctors' notes still be in existence somewhere?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Have you looked at the officers file? In the WO series of records and sometimes has copies of medical board reports. Not sure if a 'sample' set of other medical records was kept by the Nat Archives whilst many others were destroyed?

Bernard

Thanks Bernard, but I've tried that. You're right - just a small selection of Medical Records were kept.

Jonathan

May I add a variation to the original question? If the patient was not an officer and hospitalized at Ripon for several months after the war, are those records also available for a soldier of the CEF? (citing the example of our grandfather, whose family were in Croydon but he had joined up with the 28th Battalion).

Regards,

Alison Causton

May I add a variation to the original question?  If the patient was not an officer and hospitalized at Ripon for several months after the war, are those records also available for a soldier of the CEF? (citing the example of our grandfather, whose family were in Croydon but he had joined up with the 28th Battalion).

Regards,

Alison Causton

Records of Canadian Hospitals in England (or, perhaps, France) may still exist. Consider the index item here from the National Archives in Ottawa. It seems to say they have 12.1 meters of files of the Director Medical Services, London relating to patients, treatments and medical boards.

I have no idea what sort of files they actually are.

Although they rarely mention individual patients, the Canadian hospitals in England kept War Diaries which you can view at the usual place, here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

For example, the diary of the Assistant Director of Medical Services at Ripon are there.