Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German cemeteries in France

AliceF

Well, with this we could close some essential knowledge gaps for some of us  (this is what this forum is for, isn't it):

Armistice: 11th of November 1918 (not everything happened on the 9th)

Treaty of Versailles:  28th of June 1919 (signed that day by Germany)

Christine

P.S. It took many hours to download the app (Golm) - not explored it yet, but nice to have - maybe more to come.

Polish National day

11th November is also an important day for the Polish nation 1918

to commemorate the anniversary of the restoration of Poland's sovereignty as the Second Polish Republic in 1918, after 123 years of partition by the Russian Empire, the Kingdom of Prussia.

in France, Nov 11th is a commemoration day - no commemoration of Versailles treaty

(and May 8th is another because of 1945 .... though there is no peace treaty. Some are against that)

Hi all of you,

I feel sorry to have initiated that discussion about Nov. 11th. I won't be honest if I say that it is not a special day in France, and I was there many times as a pupil with flags and flowers... and also with veterans, all crying, some without a arm, a leg, or even a face. But I can remember that speeches were never about any victory, but about pain and death, including all countries (it was 40 years after WW1 ended). From 1967 to 1974, my father was mayor of our small village and he wrote his own speeches (though every village got one from government) and he always spoke about Friendship. Our village was intwined with a German one (Waldsassen), and there were big celebrations too. I post a picture dated Oct. 1975 with my father (right) and Herr and Frau Karstner. Nice picture for me (my father was a POW near Berlin and escaped after one year, I don't know were Herr Karstner fighted).

To reply to Ted, I also experimented that shame feeling from a good German friend. We probably drunk a bit too much, then he started to cry, so I hugged him and cried with him, and we started again to drink together... The morning after, I realized that deep inside of us, things were different.

After so many years, we also know here that Treaty of Versailles was quite bad (a quick revenge for 1.4 million French dead) as it was the seed for WW2. So many mistakes!

Pascal

Waldsassen-1975-10-KARSTNER.jpg.51c8959aa26253091dab51a03a073034.jpg

In my family I have three Polish soldiers who were German and died in WW1 with  2 buried in cemeteries in France, the other not known where he rests. But from my Mothers family also I have three English soldiers also buried in France. So we live and learn. My Grandfather was a Polish German who fought in WW1 and survived. He later made a family in France but then WW2 soon came for more trouble.

For me 11th November remembers all of them .

Well, it was good, wasn't it. I was not aware of the celebration of the 11th in France and Poland - but of course the end of a war of that extent is important to remember and to celebrate. And I could have guessed that many other nations  - besides Germany- celebrate it. The 11th did not recall anything - only St Martin - because I put the armistice 2 days wrongly on the 9th.

Yes, and the feeling of shame has been there for a long time. When I was younger, I felt it very personally, as if I was responsible.  I do not feel responsible any longer for what Germans did before I was born. But the shame stays of what one's own nation has done and what relatives had been involved in - sometimes less voluntarily, sometimes more. And I think that will stay and it's nothing wrong with that.

When I was in Belgium in September - and the day in France - I talked at the very end of my work meeting to a British colleague about my visit in France before the meeting started. (In Sweden never anybody understands). She got quite, picked up a number of copies out of her bag. It was the biographies of her relatives who had died in ww1. There were many, and many without known graves, close relatives amongst them. She spoke about the trauma in the family, about the loss of a young family member without a grave. About parents that never got over it, how it influenced the whole family for decades. She was actually on her way to Ypres next day, taking trench maps out of her bag trying to locate an original grave position of the lost grave. And then she said at the end, she had never talked about this with a German, she would not know what we feel about it. I was very glad she did.

Christine

Thank you Christine.

"Glorious" (I don't think it was for any family having lost husbands, fathers or children) or not, Nov. 11th 1918 was the last day of war, and I guess it was happily celebrated by soldiers in all trenches.

For those who read that book "Au revoir là-haut", the movie has issued on last Wednesday. As I don't live in a big town, I have to wait for a couple of weeks before it comes here. Here is its website where you can see poster, trailer, etc.:

http://www.unifrance.org/film/41868/au-revoir-la-haut

Pascal

• 2 weeks later...

Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Morisel

On 28/10/2017 at 17:47, PascalMallet said:

Thank you Christine.

"Glorious" (I don't think it was for any family having lost husbands, fathers or children) or not, Nov. 11th 1918 was the last day of war, and I guess it was happily celebrated by soldiers in all trenches.

For those who read that book "Au revoir là-haut", the movie has issued on last Wednesday. As I don't live in a big town, I have to wait for a couple of weeks before it comes here. Here is its website where you can see poster, trailer, etc.:

http://www.unifrance.org/film/41868/au-revoir-la-haut

Pascal

Pascal, it is now in Amiens, I saw it last Sunday - and very much liked it ! I hope you won't have to wait too long ....

kind regards, martine

PS - the film starts on Nov. 9th 1918, i.e. two days before the war stopped

Edited by mva
add PS

@ejwalshe   : I know the place as I live 14 km away. May I ask you why you give names under the video ( Gefreiter Franz Beck, Unteroffizier Artur Wiesner, Vizefeldwebel Georg Romer , Soldat Berhhard Hinz, Grenadier Artur Muller ) ? Special interest in them ?

kind regards, martine

Hi Martine

I usually select a few names at random in my videos in order to create some bookmarks which people can use to jump to different parts of the video...not everyone likes to watch these videos in their entirety.

Usually not so useful for short videos, but I find people use them quite a bit when the video is over 5 minutes.

Sometimes, the selection is not random, but rather focuses on a well-known (to some of us anyway) individual.

Thanks for watching, Martine!

Cheers, Ted

@PascalMallet Well said, Pascal...it was the seed for WWII.  

Edited by ejwalshe

On 06/11/2017 at 07:01, mva said:

Pascal, it is now in Amiens, I saw it last Sunday - and very much liked it ! I hope you won't have to wait too long ....

kind regards, martine

PS - the film starts on Nov. 9th 1918, i.e. two days before the war stopped

Hi Martine,

I long very much to see it. As I will stay in Arras for two nights (Nov. 11th + Film Festival), I will probably see it there. I will also be in Amiens and St-Saufflieu on Thursday afternoon for family archives, but I won't stop there.

Pascal

@ejwalshe Yes, and I read that in 1940, Germans wanted to (mostly) start Wertern war in Flanders where they failed in 1918. For that Bavarian whose name is not spoken here, that was the exact continuation of 1918 retreat... and return to fight again. Here is an interesting Wikipedia article about that matter: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsschuldfrage

I watched your video. Quite good as others you have posted here. Question: what (easy) software do you use to zoom still images with chosen center of zooming?

Pascal

Don't you mean the Austrian who became a Bavarian?

6 minutes ago, trajan said:

Don't you mean the Austrian who became a Bavarian?

Yes, you're right, I have missed that detail. In fact, I always thought he was still an Austrian, and I learnt here he became a Bavarian. I have to read more about that...

@trajan Thought it was an Austrian who adopted a Bavarian accent...does not really matter, does it?

@PascalMallet I rolled back my version of Windows 10 as soon as I realized they took away the good, free version of Windows Movie Maker.

It's easy to apply various formatting features (zoom-in, zoom-out, etc.) and animations to all photos/video in the application.

I tweak any of the animations/formatting that I don't like after the wizard does it's job.

Cheers, Ted

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎05 at 22:35, ejwalshe said:

Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Morisel

Yes, thanks for the video, Ted. I always watch them when you post them. They give another impression than photos.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎28 at 17:47, PascalMallet said:

For those who read that book "Au revoir là-haut", the movie has issued on last Wednesday

Not sure when I will have the possibility to see. Good to hear that it was worth watching (not always the case if one has read a much appreciated book).

4 hours ago, PascalMallet said:

Here is an interesting Wikipedia article about that matter: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsschuldfrage

Quite comprehensive Wikipedia article - fortunately there is a German version, so I might be able to read at some point.

Was always clear to me that Germany had a heavy "Kriegsschuld" regarding ww1. Read a couple of years ago that reparations were paid off now.

92 years later  the last 200 mio Euros were paid. But these were interest rates that only were to pay in the case of a German reunification (decided in 1953). So therefore the paying back process was prolonged by the events of 1990.

However, there is so much lost you can not pay for.

Christine

Thanks Ted. As I still use Windows 8.2, I will check ASAP.

Christine, the movie got very good success and critics here, so I guess it will be exported to other countries where the book has issued.

2 hours ago, PascalMallet said:

Thanks Ted. As I still use Windows 8.2, I will check ASAP.

Christine, the movie got very good success and critics here, so I guess it will be exported to other countries where the book has issued.

and there will be, very probably, a DVD in one year or so

15 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

@trajan Thought it was an Austrian who adopted a Bavarian accent...does not really matter, does it?

Yes, it does, otherwise we are all in a 'Fake news - SAD' situation! ;)

Sorry for the delay, Christine...I need a new job so I can work on this more often!

Concerning your post of October 21st...

I've updated my German Cemeteries.kmz file.

Azannes II is correct
I cannot confirm where Azannes I is....where do you have it, Christine?
Bouligny has been corrected by about 100 meters.
Montemedy location is correct...where are the two more you refer to?
Troyon (Vaux les Palameix) has been corrected by 4 km
Lagarde has been corrected by 1 km
This site confirms location of Plaine-de-Walsch is correct: http://www.xn--kriegerdenkmler-in-lippe-1bc.de/seiten/soldatenfriedhof_plaine-de-walsch_frankreich.htm  

"I got the impression that 10-20% of the cemeteries were wrongly placed at the Volksbund website" - So true...must be at least twenty of them that point to the exact same location...and at least 20% have no location.

"How did you manage to the whole West + CWGC with German burials?" - I think I used CWGC to search for foreign nationals...back before the CWGC website change...now I am not so adept at searching their website once again.

Could I see your .kmz file to compare?  The link from your 21st October post has only four cemeteries in it.

Thanks for all your help - Ted

Edited by ejwalshe

Hello,

Azannes I is located at the northern end of the Rue Haute in Azannes (I can't paste a google maps link here). Check geoportail, you'll see it clearly there.

Jan

@AOK4 Thanks - so easy when you know where to look.

I've updated my German Cemeteries.kmz file.

Edited by ejwalshe

6 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

Could I see your .kmz file to compare?  The link from your 21st October post has only four cemeteries in it.

I try once more. When I open this file all the cemeteries are shown at my computer German cemeteries WW1.kmz

but of course it was meant that it can be seen elsewhere as well....

Christine

Sorry, noticing my links to my .kmz file do not work at all!

Okay...they should be fixed now.

Edited by ejwalshe