Remembered Today:

German cemeteries in France

AliceF

Salome Communal Cemetery German Extension

Found in Cabaret Rouge Burial Returns 44.b.4.d.5.3 is at 50.5431, 3.3036

Sailly-sur-la-Lys German Cemetery

Found in Cabaret Rouge Burial Returns 36.g.17.c.9.5 is at 50.6603, 2.7796

• 2 weeks later...

Is anything known about where the German dead from Oisy-le-Verges German Cemetery were concentrated to, the number of burials and when the cemetery was in use? 

Thanks

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Hi!

The Volksbund member journal from 1925 states that the graves were moved to Rumaucourt. It is not stated how many graves there were. The cemetery in Oisy le Verger was still in use in October 1924, then  it was reported that many crosses were missing and names not readable.

Christine

Charlie, would be interesting to know the context, why you are looking for it.

Just checked very quickly yesterday on the internet and found only one hit: Emil Frank from Achern was buried in Oisy le Verger at the 10th of March in 1918 after an accident.

He has no known grave location today. If he was buried in the cemetery - that indicates that information of buried soldiers were lost after the war or during reburial.

But I looked only shortly into this yesterday. At the 10th of December the Nobel prices are celebrated in Stockholm and this is one of my TV-evening highlights of the year (and it goes on for hours). I really like the celebration of science and literature in the way it is done and how the Swedish TV manages every year again to try to explain difficult topics to the public.

Christine

Hi Christine, thank you for your interest.

Even though it is a very long shot and clutching at a straw, I am trying to help a pal on another forum establish the indentity of the owner of a cigarette case. All that is known about the owner is that he was in German Army, had the initials HB and was killed in Oisy-le-Verger in 1917. I was hoping that the information regarding the German Military Cemetery might provide a clue. 

Charlie

Ah, I see. Difficult case. If the person was buried in the cemetery in Oisy-le-Verger, then there might be a good chance that he was reburied in Rumaucourt. But to find a name - that will not be easy.

Christine

Highly commendable, Charlie.  Knowing Them is crucial to Remembering Them.  I pray your persistence will pay off.

Could anyone point me to a contemporary photograph of Beaucamps-Ligny German cemetery? One of the New Zealand men I am researching was buried there in February 1917 after a trench raid near Bois Grenier, before being re-interred at Pont-du-Hem. Knowing them is crucial to remembering them; I really like that.

Pete.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Could anyone point me to a contemporary photograph of Beaucamps-Ligny German cemetery? One of the New Zealand men I am researching was buried there in February 1917 after a trench raid near Bois Grenier, before being re-interred at Pont-du-Hem. Knowing them is crucial to remembering them; I really like that.

Pete.

http://www.volksbund.de/kriegsgraeberstaette/beaucamps-ligny.html

16 hours ago, AliceF said:

Ah, I see. Difficult case. If the person was buried in the cemetery in Oisy-le-Verger, then there might be a good chance that he was reburied in Rumaucourt. But to find a name - that will not be easy.

Christine

Hi Charlie and Christine,

Though Oisy-le-Verger is very close to Rumaucourt, it seems the unknown soldiers were moved to St.-Laurent-Blangy massgrave, according to the list below. In Pas-de-Calais, it seems there were only two big massgraves used for that purpose: Lens and St.-Laurent.

I remind you that I uploaded everything on Dropbox. Those lists are in "_Divers (AN 19860710-1)\Regroupement corps" and here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/220zps1hyf1qtxv/AACpcxP68eF6RAXZjv8bC2ILa?dl=0

Pascal

Oisy-le-Verger.jpg.909b3d55ff3df61346311ea728d25895.jpg

Thank you Pascal.

If I have understood everything correctly the unknown soldiers from Oisy-le-Verger are buried at St Laurent-Blangy and the identified soldiers are buried at Rumaucourt. Is it likely that the VDK possesses a list of those that were known to have been buried at Oisy-le-Verger?

Charlie

5 hours ago, mva said:

Thanks Martine, I've got a rather nice photo (well I think it is nice) of Beaucamps-Ligny from the east which I can use to point out where the cemetery is. I was wondering if there were any postcards from 1914-18 but it's not a problem if not. I should have my own photos of the cemetery itself as I visited the village but walked right past the entrance. I'll go on my next trip.

Pete.

23 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Thank you Pascal.

If I have understood everything correctly the unknown soldiers from Oisy-le-Verger are buried at St Laurent-Blangy and the identified soldiers are buried at Rumaucourt. Is it likely that the VDK possesses a list of those that were known to have been buried at Oisy-le-Verger?

Charlie

Yes, it is probably something like that. I guess there are some identified soldiers in St.-Laurent too if they can't identify them individually. To try to find a name with initials HB within two big name books at St.-Laurent is probably impossible. Maybe it is more possible in Rumaucourt book, but someone has to get there (and books are taken away during Winter time, though they can be stored at city hall).

From what I know, VDK has a lot of name lists, but they are not online, and they won't search for someone from so tiny information. Probably, some day we will have a big online databank where you can search with the details you got...

Here is what I found in a French Wiki about Rumincourt cemetery: "It contains the bodies of 2,617 German soldiers. The cemetery was opened in the fall of 1916 and then used throughout the conflict. The French authorities added in 1924 nearly 1,000 bodies of small cemeteries in the area." So, maybe there is a list somewhere in French archives too.

Pascal

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I was wondering if there were any postcards from 1914-18 but it's not a problem if not

See # 787.

6 hours ago, PascalMallet said:

Though Oisy-le-Verger is very close to Rumaucourt, it seems the unknown soldiers were moved to St.-Laurent-Blangy massgrave, according to the list below.

Very interesting. Unfortunately I do not get my Volksbund CD working anymore. There is a lot on Rumaucourt, and I would like to see what. Problems with plugins:(

Christine

22 minutes ago, AliceF said:

See # 787.

Many apologies Christine; I only saw Martine's post and not yours - it's operator error on my part. That is brilliant, thank you. I tried searching using various terms but found nothing like this.

Pete.

Thank you once again Pascal, I‘ll get in touch with the VDK and ask if they have a list of those originaly buried at Oisy-le-Verger, the worst they can say is no!

Christine, if you manage to get your CD working again would be so kind as to post what information there is about Rumaucourt.

Charlie

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎12 at 21:09, charlie2 said:

Christine, if you manage to get your CD working again would be so kind as to post what information there is about Rumaucourt.

Charlie,

got finally the CD working again (had to download the program DjVu again and than it works in internet explorer, but still not in chrome).

Well, there are short and long description of the cemetery in Rumaucourt during the 1920ies, but nothing really relevant for your case.

What is interesting is that the number of graves is given with 2619 or 2620 from 1925 on, all in single graves it seems and all soldiers identified (confirms what Pascal wrote).

Only once 60 unidentified (1927) are mentioned, do not know if this was a mistake. Number of buried is given with 2616 by the VDK today.

I add three of the texts that I looked at.

Would be interesting to know how many soldiers with the initials HB are buried there. Did you get any list form the VDK?

Christine

Rumaucourt.pdf

On 12/12/2017 at 21:09, charlie2 said:

Thank you once again Pascal, I‘ll get in touch with the VDK and ask if they have a list of those originaly buried at Oisy-le-Verger, the worst they can say is no!

Hi Charlie,

Here is the name of the woman in charge of such matter. Ilka Borowski, ilka.borowski@volksbund.de. She speaks good English, but she got a lot of work, so don't expect any reply before a couple of months, or more, and not sure she can/want to go so deep in searching for you. You can also call her, maybe that helps (but don't say who told you so... ;-)

Tomorrow, I will call city hall of Rumaucourt (it is closed today) to see if they got the cemetery namebook, but you will only got names, ranks and dates of death, not where they died (see example below). At least, you could see (someone has to get there) how many soldiers with initials HB (or many BH?) and died in 1917 are there.

Pascal

DSC01241.thumb.JPG.eae2fa4238c9568007b604ab2e2c9dc0.JPG

From Dec. 27th to Dec. 31st, I will be in Alsace and Lorraine. Départements Bas-Rhin (67) and Meurthe-et-Moselle (54). Sadly (not for my wife...), archives in Nancy will be closed (I know they got a lot of interesting documents), but if someone needs some pictures, and it is not far from our way (mostly Basel-Strasbourg-Nancy-Paris), feel free to ask.

Pascal

3 hours ago, PascalMallet said:

Tomorrow, I will call city hall of Rumaucourt (it is closed today) to see if they got the cemetery namebook, but you will only got names, ranks and dates of death, not where they died (see example below). At least, you could see (someone has to get there) how many soldiers with initials HB (or many BH?) and died in 1917 are there.

Pascal

Thank you Pascal that would be very helpful.

Many thanks Christine, I‘ll let you know when I have an answer from the VDK.

Charlie