Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Cholmondeley RFC

SueRC

I'm researching Captain Reginald Cholmondeley and have read that he was awarded the Military Cross on 29th December 1914 but I've been unable to find any record of his citation. I've tried searching the London Gazette but with no luck. Also I understand that he was with the initial flight of aircraft that crossed the channel in August 1914 but that he was the officer in charge of the aircraft park. Am I right in thinking that he would have flown one of the reserve aircraft over to France or would he have arrived by ground transport? If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Reginald Cholmondley

Born 28th September 1889, educated Eton & Sandhurst.

Rifle Brigade 2nd Lt., 28/04/09; Lieutenant 1/4/11; Captain 1/12/14.

1st Rifle Brigade Ireland & UK 1911 - 1913, seconded to the R.F.C. 1913. Flight Commander 1/5/14, R. Aircraft Park France 1914. flight Commander 3 Squadron RFC 1914-15. Mentioned in Despatches. Killed in action 12/3/15.

Can only track a M..I.D. for him.

Andy

Hi Graeme, Graces Guide was were I got the information from. Looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree! Is there anyway of finding out what he was mentioned in despatches for?

R Cholmondeley flew Henry Farman 462 to France on 13 August 1914. He was an Aircraft Park pilot and the

Farman was one of several aeroplanes that were spare machines for 5 Squadron. C was later in 3 Squadron as a Flight Commander and was killed on 12 March 1915 when bombs were being loaded onto his aeroplane. This

incident is described in McCudden's FYITRFC. More details are included in Baptism of Fire.The First Year of the RFC in France, to be published in early 2016.

Hi

Just for interest, the then Lt. Cholmondeley when on 3 Sqn., took part in the trials of ground launched signal rockets on the 7 March 1913. He was the pilot of Maurice Farman No. 214, with Lt. Carmichael as observer. The other aircraft involved at the time was BE.3 No. 203, piloted by Maj. Higgins with Capt. Allen as observer. The reports of these trials are in AIR 1/811/204/4/1248.

Mike

Sadly, some people are mainly famous for the manner of their deaths. Any information on Cholmondeley that can flesh out the man and his achievements during his life is most welcome.

• 3 years later...