Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daily position of Allied & German Divisions 1914-16

charlie962

This French website has a fascinating daily map showing the location of all Allied and German Divisions/Armies on the Western Front from August 1914 to December 1916. There are also several "animations" showing the daily movements for specific campaigns in 1914. LINK

Forgive me if this has already been discussed (this website exists since at least 2010) but I see it is regularly updated with another month of locations. Is there a previous thread that I should have found? Does a similar site exist in English?

It gives me a good impression of the whereabouts of the British forces in relation to the French and I thought the "animations" particularly interesting. There is also an index for the French Regiments showing to which Brigade and which Division they belonged.

It looks good, though the main source though it the often quoted US Production Histories of two hundred and fifty-one divisions of the German army which have participed in the war (1914-1918)", is based upon Intelligence summaries not German Army records after the war.