Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

Guest Gwynedd

Could anyone help me to intreprete the numbers on a medal card please?

I have managed the discharge codes, but there are typed letters and numbers at the bottom of the card, are they of any significance?

Maria

Could anyone help me to intreprete the numbers on a medal card please?

I have managed the discharge codes, but there are typed letters and numbers at the bottom of the card, are they of any significance?

Maria

Depends what they say,@ the Bottom of the Card they usually pertain to the Award of Emblems{Oak Leaves emblem for MiD} Or Similar[in which case they contain:"Em/*****/0000" or "Emb/****/00" & a date,Re~Issues,Cancellations,References to other Cards etc,If you can post here what they say May be able to Help.

You are aware the Number Codes following the Medal listings are the Roll page References?

Many thanks for your reply. I attach the said card, it would be really great if you could help, I found out about the number codes but none of the other cards I have seen has these printed codes. I attach the said card.

Maria

Doc1.doc

If you are referring to the printed numbers and letters at the bottom of the document, those are administrative codes having to do with the printing of the form and have nothing to do with your man. Regards. Dick

Guest caldhbreac

Do the Roll and page numbers have any special significance.

Can they be accessed and would they have any further information about the soldier being awarded the medals?

Thank You

Michael McDonnell

Many thanks Dick for the information. Would you have any idea why this man has too medal cards? He and his nephew, of the same name, were on the troopship "Royal Edward" when it was torpedoed. The nephew was killed but as you see the Frank the elder served on. I wondered if the two had got mixed up somewhere along the line. The two card have similarilties but are not identical as the handwriting would have you believe.

Best Wishes

Maria