Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russia's Western Fronts like you have never seen it before

John Gilinsky

A wonderful modern current Russian woman blogger takes both old and not so old photos and colourizes them. On her blog she has a major page dedicated to World War I, viz.:

Color By Klimbim

https://klimbim2014.wordpress.com/category/world-war-1/

and here is just one example:

World War 1

Russian soldiers [pose] before the attack, 1916
22582277333_ca7a374007_o.jpg?w=642&h=472 Soldats russes [posant] avant l’attaque

russian-soldiers-before-the-attack-1916-

Here is some info about the image:

The pic is taken by George H. Mewes, a British photo journalist who was appointed official photographer to the Russian Imperial Army. His caption, “The company of the 7th Regiment of Chasseurs pose for the camera, 1915”.

To Russia, with camera.

While Brooks chose to document the British war effort his Daily Mirror colleague George Mewes chose a different path.
Mewes had originally joined the Grant brothers in early August 1914 but after only a short time in Belgium he travelled to Russia and the Eastern Front where he stayed while embedded with the Russian Army.

Some errata:

Eugene Rudnev received the Gold Sword of St George for his 14 August 1915 recon flight.

P.N. Nesterov is best known for ramming and downing a Austrian aircraft.

Maria Bochkareya's book is at archive.org

Grand Duchess Olga and Tatania's work as nurses is covered in the book The Romanov Sisters/ The Four Sisters by Helen Rappenport which was reviewed on this site.

Your welcome James and ibis. Please note that despite repeatedly telling the GWF admin over the past couple of years and despite checking off managing the topic thread to be instantly notified: I am NOT notified at all.

John

John

Magnificent! It brings those famous and not very famous people back to life. Well, sort of - at least we have an idea of what they looked like when alive.

Thanks

Gareth

I have more and I must also say superb coloring:

Von Schleich was a 35 victory ace there is a bio of him out there I can't find the title yet. There are articles on him in Over the Front 13-3 The picture was taken in may 1918 when he was Co of JGr 8b note his captured RFC Leather coat. The Albatros DVa aircraft has lozenge wings and a black fuselage ect. It used to belong to another ace Otto Kissenbeth and you can just make out his old Edelweiss insignia that has been painted over.

Helen Rappenport has another book Last days of the Romanovs. If you want to find out the fates of Olga and Tatania and the rest of their family.

Helen Azar has books out on Olga and Tatania based on their diaries and letters and other works.

The bio is: Rampant Lion The Life of Eduard Ritter Von Schleich Germany's 'Black Knight of WW I" by Darren J Whiteside from the reviews I would say it looks like a good book.