Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding trench

Canadian J

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help finding trenches 132, 133, 134 (particularily 132). I have looked at the Mcmaster University database and, using the search tool, it appears that trench 132 is located near Ploegsteert. However, the trench is not labeled 132 as the maps are from 1916 and 1917 (28 SW4) and it seems the trenches have, by this time, obtained actual names such as winter trench, autumn trench, ashway trench and regina avenue. I have gotten my info from the 5th CMR war diary of Nov. 1915 and the vicinity seems correct based on the battalions location at the time. Does anyone know where I could find out which of the trenches mentioned might be trench 132? Or a map from 1915?

Thanks a tonne in advance! All the best everyone,

- Jordan

Hi Jordan

We have had discussions about finding 1915 trenches on maps before on the forum; and one problem is that different divisions often have different names for the same trench; its really only in 1916 that names start to become standardised.

I have found that brigade war diaries (rather than battalion ones) often have helpful maps, sometimes sketch maps, sometimes properly printed ones. In your case this would be 8th (Canadian) Infantry Brigade for 5th CMG I suppose? (You'll know better than me!) I don't know if this bigade diary is available to download, but that would be worth investigating perhaps.

William

That sounds great William, thanks so much for your reply!

- Jordan

Are any places in the area named in the war diary, ie Farms, Houses, Roads etc?

John