Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volkstrauertag at Nazareth

michaeldr

On Sunday, 15th November 2015, the German embassy to Israel held their Volkstrauertag at Nazareth. The Ambassador of the Federal Republic gave the main address, and the ceremony was overall, in the capable hand of priests from the local German Protestant and Catholic churches. It was accompanied by the fine music of a wind quintete, provided by the German army. Wreaths were laid by the representatives of the many nations which were involved in the Great War in Palestine, including the representatives from the Bavarian State legislateure, whose air squadron played a notable part in the battles here. Also, our GWF Pal 'Eran', in his capasity as Chairman of the 'Society for the Heritage of the First World War in Israel', laid a wreath on behalf of the local membership which was well represented at the ceremony. The 261 Germans who are remembered here in Nazareth include at least one Jew, and the Israeli Army provided a Rabbi and a Chantor to complete this ecumenical service. The Federal German Embassy must be congratulated on their hospitable arrangements for this ceremony, which included an excellent buffet lunch after the formalities.

649f7363-b225-4bf0-b767-65186cb3c2e3_zps

83c2eba4-7913-46c3-a6f2-af4292fcd4c3_zps

c9e09695-6629-4abe-94ed-64fe1ddb975f_zps

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you for sharing that...

Mate,

Yes Nice one indeed, I wonder why they did it at this time and not later?

I did notice this man in your photo killed or died 8 Nov 1917

Lt Rolf Scheler Bavarian Jasta 304

I take it he was killed in the Allied 30 plane raid on the air field around Arak el Menshiye?

Can we get photos of the other grave markers?

As I also notice this man

Gefr Harald Roepke Ballon Abw Kan Zug 136

or the Bavarian AA flak Section 136

I wonder if Ballon is Balloon, and what was a balloon sect with this AA flak unit?

Killed or died 3 Oct 1918

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

Going by the Wiki article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstrauertag

in relation to the fallen of the Great War, the day goes back to 1919/1922

and it seems that after WWII it was decided to hold it annually, two Sundays before the first day of Advent

I regret that I do not have any further details on the individuals commemorated here

[let us hope that this thread catches the eye of Egbert who may be able to add something]

At the moment it is not clear when I will again be in Nazareth

best regards

Michael

Quote from The Prussian in his post No.2 here

Lt. Scheler, born feb.8, 1893 in Aeschbach, was wounded in action nov.8, 1917 in Wadi-Sarar, he died nov.13, 1917 in Jerusalem.

This ties in with Steve's post No.6 above, as Wadi es-Sarar is where the airfield west of the village of 'Araq el-Manshiya was situated.

The Bavarian Squadron No.304 was attacked twice that day [8th November 1917]; at noon and again at 16.40.

Egbert,

I too hope that you can find the time; it should be well worth a visit.

Last week was my own first and the place is not so easy to find

however, it is right next to the Italian Hospital and this place is very well known.

I also understand that, if the German cemetery is closed, then a key and access can be had by asking at the Italian Hospital

Enjoy your trip

Michael

The photographs originally posted in this thread have become inaccessible due to circumstances beyond my control,

however yesterday Sunday 19th November 2017, the German embassy again held a service for their National Day of Mourning at the German Cemetery of the Fallen Soldiers in Nazareth.

P1060991.thumb.JPG.6a841bb1bb279d3e81f3b5b95ee55567.JPG

P1060993.thumb.JPG.d82a0e793099c75d2ca22c4e37d9a96f.JPG

Mate,

Those sites you gave still did not show the names of Germans lost during the battles in Palestine. is it possible to see other names listed on these panels?

as to Rolf Scheler, do you know what job he did in the FA 304b?

Others I record with this Jasta;

Berthold Fritz  Lt observer Airforce Jasta 300 4-16 RTG 2-17 later Adjt Jasta 304 10-17  1916-17 Bavarian from FAA 5b shown observer to Euringer RTG 2-17
Breitenbach Lt Pilot Airforce jasta 304 1917-18 Bavarian shot down with Lt Saradeth 24-5-18
Fischer Veit  Lt Airforce Jasta 304 1917-18 Bavarian
Heussenstamm Karl Lt pilot Airforce Jasta 304 9-17 1917-18 Bavarian (1890 to 1930) RTG 7-18
Hüfner or Haefner Victor Lt Pilot Airforce Jasta 304 3-18 to Jasta 300  1918's Bavarian flew Albatross D5a (5360/17)
Künsberg Freiherr Von Lt Pilot Airforce Jasta 304 9-17 to (Jasta 55) Jagdstaffel F1    1917-18 Bavarian reported shot down KIA 8-6-18 near Jaffa
Saradeth  Lt observer Airforce Jasta 304 1917-18 Bavarian shot down with Lt Breitenbach 24-5-18
Scheler Rolf Lt unknown airforce Jasta 304 1917- Bavarian (8-2-1893 to 13-11-17) WIA 8-11-17 in air raid in Wadi es-Sarar where the airfield west of the village of 'Araq el-Manshiya DoW 13-11-17 in Jerusalem
Stoeckl or Stöckl Alois Lt Pilot Airforce Jasta 304  1918's Bavarian (born 1895 to KIA 14-8-40) Ex 1 FAR to Bavarian FA 48 6-17 to Bavarian FA 304 later WWII Col Luftwaffe shot down in HE 111 on Alder Tag over England
Walz Franz Joseph  Capt Pilot Airforce OC Jasta 304 8-17 1917-1918  Bavarian (1885-1945) - from Jasta Boelcke - PoW 20-9-18 when airfield at Afuleh over run Pour le Merite later Luftwaffe Gen Lt dying in Polish captivity end of war

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Great photo Michaeldr.

An interesting study in commemorative wreaths which proves a point I made elsewhere that poppies are not used by Germans in their remembrance.

Dave

12 hours ago, stevebecker said:

is it possible to see other names listed on these panels?

Steve,

That's a very good idea - I really must get back to Nazareth on a quiet day and spend some time making a record of the names

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

An interesting study in commemorative wreaths

Dave,

I'm not sure how typical (outside this country) the wreaths seen above are - they are however very typical of those seen at similar services here. The only exception being that laid by the UK's Defence Attaché, who always brings a RBL poppy wreath. [When attending the Australian service at Mnt Scopus on 25th April, I too lay a RBL poppy wreath on behalf of the Gallipoli Association]

Michael

Michael thanks again for your information. I particular like the chasteness of the shown remembrance chamber. 

All the best from St Kitts

Please see also post 10 ff

Edited by egbert

3 hours ago, michaeldr said:

UK's Defence Attaché, who always brings a RBL poppy wreath. [When attending the Australian service at Mnt Scopus on 25th April, I too lay a RBL poppy wreath on behalf of the Gallipoli Association

Proper order too. :poppy: 

Dave

2 hours ago, egbert said:

I particular like the chasteness of the shown remembrance chamber. 

Please see also post 10 ff

Egbert,

I agree; the austere stone hall with its huge wooden cross is very impressive

It lies beneath the bell tower and acts as sort of lobby through which one must pass before climbing the short flight of stairs to access the WWI memorial garden.

The models in the exhibit seen in your post No.10 on the other thread remind me of some of the photographs which used to be available on the Bavarian archive website showing

Transport of the Fliegerabteiung 304 through the Taurus, approx. September 1917-September 1918

However those photographs are not at present available [http://www.gda.bayern.de/findmittel/ead/index.php?fb=478] I hope that the absence is only temporary

Enjoy St.Kitts

best regards

Michael

Something of the history of this cemetery and of  Dr. Norbert Schwake who takes care of it, can be read in this article from the Frankfurter Allgemeine of 18 October 2014

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausland/naher-osten/deutscher-soldatenfriedhof-letzte-ruhestaette-israel-13201258.html

[use Google translate]

Edited by michaeldr

• 11 months later...

Mate,

Thank you, interesting. Would like to see more of these panels that are shown?

Would love to see more panels!

One part did interest me and that the deaths of three men during the early months

Flöhl Adolf    Flieger    Staff Airforce Jasta 304b    1917-    Bavarian (1899 - DoA 12-11-17) shown grave 14-11-17 near El Lubban reported died in a car accident in the evacuation of Jerusalem buried Sionsberg Cemetery Jerusalem

Peter Julius    Gefr    Staff Airforce Jasta 304b    1917-    Bavarian (1899 - DoA 12-11-17) grave shows 14-11-17 near El Lubban reported died in a car accident in the evacuation of Jerusalem buried Sionsberg Cemetery Jerusalem

The new man I didn't know about was

Schemelzer Stefan    Pnr    Staff Airforce Jasta 304b    1917-    Bavarian possibly died around DoA 12-11-17 (reported in telegraph around same time as Julius Peter and Adolf Flöhl)

No details on his death and my German is a bit weak when the man mentioned there deaths?

Any other details known?

Cheers

S.B

The docu says that  when the Fliegerabteilung retreated from Arak airfield, they transported all their equipment with trucks. One of the trucks crashed into a steep gorge and all 3 men died, one of them was Schmelzer. The 3 were buried on Zionsberg (mountain Zion) in Jerusalem . Today the rest on the British CWGC .