Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Iconic Photograph'

Langdon

This photo was tweeted earlier today - does anyone know the source? It was used on the front of the paperback edition of Fiona Reid's "Broken Men, Shell Shock, Treatment and Recovery in Britain". Unlike the Grinning Man photo, this doesn't feel right..

Mike

post-102943-0-69876900-1447599710_thumb.

Isn't that from Bovington's trench?

Thanks, much obliged!

Mike

Yes that's the one. I meant only that it's a genuine WW1 photo - associated as it is with shell shock - but I imagine you're going to say there's no evidence of shell shock and that he's just a "cheery old card.."

Mike

Yes that's the one. I meant only that it's a genuine WW1 photo - associated as it is with shell shock - but I imagine you're going to say there's no evidence of shell shock and that he's just a "cheery old card.."

Mike

He is out of the firing line and has managed to cock his helmet for the photographer and he may well be having treatment for what he knows is a Blighty. A "cheery old card" he may well be.

Well,

He did appear on another website and was discussed here

And I did say then that his crazed look maybe a grateful one rather than evidence of his traumatic shell shocked experiences.

He does look a bit more crazed when his surroundings are cropped out but the un-cropped version seems to me to show a different man.

HERE

TEW

• 3 months later...

The close up shows the man looking up at the guy standing next to him who may have just said something funny causing the sitting man to smile. Is that the case or would we rather see shell shock?

- Jordan

I think he's looking at (us) the photographer - perhaps he's got a Blighty.

Kath.