Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moore Street - Europe's best preserved modern battlefield

Sinabhfuil

In relation to Britain's experience in wars, this a a snippet from Bryan Cooper's The (Tenth) Irish Division in Gallipoli:

"There is one particular in which the British Army may fairly claim to be superior to any force in the world, and that is in embarkation. Years of oversea expeditions, culminating in the South African War, have given us abundant experience in this class of work, and the fact that even in a newly formed unit like the 10th Division every battalion contained at least one officer who had taken a draft to India, helped to make things run smoothly."

The point from Bryan Cooper's book refers to the regular drafts sent to replace time served men from regiments stationed in India. Clearly there were military events in India, most especially I seem to recall in the frontier provinces, but by and large the regiments there were surely fulfilling the role of Imperial police.

Keith

In relation to Britain's experience in wars, this a a snippet from Bryan Cooper's The (Tenth) Irish Division in Gallipoli:

"There is one particular in which the British Army may fairly claim to be superior to any force in the world, and that is in embarkation. ...."

That goes without saying...being an island nation, they'd have to be pretty good at it to serve/fight anywhere other than on the mainland. To me, that snippet refers more to transportation and logistics rather than actual war experience.

Dave

I have edited some posts, and removed one of my own. The topic is again open

Keith Roberts