Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt (Temp Capt) Otto Vaughan Payne RAMC in Salonika 1917

Guest RichardVP

My Grandfather Otto Vaughan Payne B Chir MB was a surgeon practicing in Alton Hampshire. He was born in 1879 and died in 1948. He trained at Guy's Hospital. I discovered recently that he had held a commission in the RAMC in WW1, relinquishing the commission as recorded in the London Gazette of 1 May 1919. From the National Archives I discovered his medal record showing that the theatre of war first served in was Salonika. The date of entry thereto is 14th August 1917. I can't find any other information from the usual sources so can anyone suggest where I might try next?

Officer's records are usually quite good; better than the average enlisted man's records.

Funnily enough, I have a medal group to an officer who was in Salonika, and his records are great.

See: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-officers-after-1913/

As far as I can see, the really good stuff (ie: the Officers’ service records (1914-1922)) has yet to be scanned and available online*.

So either a visit to Kew, or paying a small fee to one of the many WW1 researchers who go there for a copy of the physical file might be your next step.

(*Happy to be corrected on that, but it's how I read that page.)