Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC Reserve Park War Diary abbreviations

drjimbo

Hopefully someone can help decipher some of these abbreviations (in red) found in the No 2 Reserve Park (ASC 30 Coy) War Diary (1918-1919)

I'm having difficulty in understanding the structure/manning of the Reserve Park as I thought it was just an ASC organisational structure for managing reserve supplies.

Examples and context:

10 CTS proceeded to NOORDPEENE for attachment to VIIIth Corps.

10 G.S.C.TOS under Sgt. Wood proceeded to 39th Divisional Train for duty.

A similar number proceeded to work for the 706 Labour Coy.

Drew 10 H.Ws and 3 riders from No 2 Field Remount Section. H.Ws are probably some type of horse, but I've only come across H.D, Heavy Draft, before.

What does CHT signify before a soldier's #?

TIA,

JS

Edited by drjimbo

It isn't 10 HWs, it is in fact 16 HDs.

The 'D' is written in old fashion loop handwriting.

I'm still trying to figure out the others.

Edit: GSCTOs

GS possibly General Service (The common type of open horse waggon used by HT companies.)

I still reckon "T" is Transport

"O" not officers then if they're under charge of a sergeant. "Operatives" maybe.

Not a sequence of letters I've come across before.

GSC TOS - General Service Corps taken on strength

Yes. That could be it.

Could it be CMT before a number?

Not sure about that in this instance.

"GSC" could be something like General Service Carts. Basically, it looks like ten vehicles were sent on a tasking.

"CTS" seems to refer to ten vehicles of some description bring sent on a tasking.

"CHT" refers to "C" class reserve members who were horse transport. N this case, the Wold Wagoners.

All the best,

Gary

GSC TOS - General Service Corps taken on strength

Interesting suggestion.

However, I haven't yet come across the use of TOS in other cases where an identified officer or replacements from Base was taken on strength.

JS

Irrespective of what GSC TOS stands for they are obviously human, a cart or an animal would not "proceed for work" or "duty".

Charlie

Irrespective of what GSC TOS stands for they are obviously human, a cart or an animal would not "proceed for work" or "duty".

Charlie

I have several entries in 604MT Coy ASC ( XV Corps Siege Park) diary for June/July 1917 where the word "duty " is directly linked to lorries:

"25/6/1917 Lorries out on duty:- 48

26/6/1917 Lorries out on duty:- 32 "

and so on.

I have several entries in 604MT Coy ASC ( XV Corps Siege Park) diary for June/July 1917 where the word "duty " is directly linked to lorries:

"25/6/1917 Lorries out on duty:- 48

26/6/1917 Lorries out on duty:- 32 "

and so on.

I stand corrected

I stand corrected

No problem.

Lots of diaries are written in the writer's own individual style, and without seeing the whole diary, it is often quite hard to get the big picture.

Each writer would often use their own abbreviations which were often non-standard, and I have seen somewhere, a list of Official Abbreviations that had to be used in the correct approved way, or else. (I think though those may have related to wireless telegraphy?)

OK we can all make a stab at interpreting the handwriting, but with this diary, seeing a bit more, seeing the above image in a larger context could well help us interpret what the writer is attempting to convey.

Somewhere in the diary he might have a cast iron reference to men: ORs, Men, NCOs , Drivers or whatever, so that we could then say with more confidence that this image refers to vehicles, or otherwise, people.

Thanks for persevering.

Per the original post the context is the ASC 30 Coy, a Horse Transport Coy.

Individuals are referred to by rank e.g. Dvr, but they are subsumed into what they are driving e.g. wagons.

I attached full sentences in which the abbreviations occur.

Elsewhere in the diary a distinction is made between wagons, carts and vehicles.

Hope this helps.

JS

post-110988-0-71283600-1447372742_thumb.

He writes "Corps Troops" a lot, and the initials "CT" .

Could they mean the same thing?

SC- Supply Column?

"One Wagon GS"- General Service?

Puzzling.