Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are these Officers?

Gareth Davies

I have a few photographs of some officers in Egypt/Palestine in 1917 and I am trying to identify them and their Regiment. The names on the back of one photograph are Grierson, W S Scott, W H Carslaw, Bilsland; they were all in Z Coy. I think it may be a Scottish Regiment. Any ideas gratefully received.

Edit: I have found a Lt W H Carslaw in the 8th Cameronians and a Lt A S Bilsland also in the 8th Bn.

Ta.

Many thanks to IPT and Uncle George.

Gareth. I had a wee shufti through the 8th Bn SR war diary 2nd.Lt's W.S.SCOTT and W.H.CARLSLAW are mentioned as a part of a nine officer draft Aug 18th 1915.

2nd Lt. W.F. GRIERSON Mentioned as part of a five officer reinforcement (Mazar Z Coy Outpost) 4th Dec 1915.

2 Officers on leave to Cairo 2nd Lt A. S. BILSLAND.

DORSET HOUSE June 6th 1917 1 Officer attached 156 Inf Bde HQ (Asst Staff Capt) 2nd Lt. A.S. BILSLAND.

Aye Rob..

Gareth. I had a wee shufti through the 8th Bn SR war diary 2nd.Lt's W.S.SCOTT and W.H.CARLSLAW are mentioned as a part of a nine officer draft Aug 18th 1915.

2nd Lt. W.F. GRIERSON Mentioned as part of a five officer reinforcement (Mazar Z Coy Outpost) 4th Dec 1915.

2 Officers on leave to Cairo 2nd Lt A. S. BILSLAND.

DORSET HOUSE June 6th 1917 1 Officer attached 156 Inf Bde HQ (Asst Staff Capt) 2nd Lt. A.S. BILSLAND.

Aye Rob..

Rob

That's great thank you. May I trouble you a bit further. I am trying to find out in more detail about another 8th Bn man, Archie McLaren (John Archibald or John Archiebald). Anything from the WD on him would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth. from the diary of the 8th Bn SR. ABBASSIA. CAIRO. FEBRUARY 5TH. 1916.

Arrived there 02.00 Found there Officers and men in advance. And in addition.

35 other ranks from the 7th Bn SR returning from Hospital

23 other ranks from the 8th Bn SR " " " " "

9 Officers.

92 other ranks from the 7th Bn SR . From the 3rd Line.

94 other ranks from the 8th Bn SR From the 3rd Line.

Officers. Captains. N Caw. 1/8th SR. Captain J Austin.

Lieutenant. R K Smith. 2nd Lieut's A Dunlop. G. Kerr. C S Grey. 2nd Lt. J.A. McLaren 1/8th Bn. SR. T A Herd. 4thy Bn SR. and J.E. Campbell.

Aye Rob.

With the EighthScottish Rifles 1914-1919 by Col J M Findlay (published in 1926) is one of the better Battalion histories. Well written, detailed, lots of photos and maps but sadly lacking an Index. A cursory glance through the pages shows at least three of the Officers mentioned and I would not be surprised if they all were. I probably have digitized copy somewhere if you need narrative from any specific date(s). MG

With the EighthScottish Rifles 1914-1919 by Col J M Findlay (published in 1926) is one of the better Battalion histories. Well written, detailed, lots of photos and maps but sadly lacking an Index. A cursory glance through the pages shows at least three of the Officers mentioned and I would not be surprised if they all were. I probably have digitized copy somewhere if you need narrative from any specific date(s). MG

Thank you Martin. I'm not after a specific date (not yet anyway).

Does this chap get a mention? http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233249&hl=