Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Prospero

Interpreting medal index cards

Guest Prospero

I downloaded the MIC for my grandfather, 57903 Pte G. F. Smith, 19th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment. The card shows an entitlement for one medal only (The Victory).

No other information is given on the card but I know he served in France, he is buried there as he died of his wounds in 1917.

Has anyone else found instances of incomplete cards or is my grandfather's just one of a few?

nellys

My GG uncle's the same name, corps rank, no and British and victory, no more than this, Nel

hmsk212
I downloaded the MIC for my grandfather, 57903 Pte G. F. Smith, 19th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment. The card shows an entitlement for one medal only (The Victory).

No other information is given on the card but I know he served in France, he is buried there as he died of his wounds in 1917.

Has anyone else found instances of incomplete cards or is my grandfather's just one of a few?

Hi

There is no way you could win the Victory Medal on its own, it had to be accompanied by at least the British War Medal. Can you show us a scan of his mic and maybe we can help you some more

Steve

HarryBettsMCDCM

Are you sure there is not a "----------------"------------------" Below were it says Victory,this is the indicationof BWM also being awarded as the Victory cannot be awarded without the BWM.{I presume there was also a Code for the Roll Page after Victory Medal:}Remember Medal Index Cards weren't designed as a Research tool but were Official Cards to denote the issue of Medals for Government Deartment use.

Pair Cards Are not usually very helpful in giving information,for KiA Details SDGW {CD~Rom}or CWGC On~line Site is the Tool to use.

HarryBettsMCDCM
My GG uncle's the same name, corps rank, no and British and victory, no more than this,

Was your GG awarded any Medals,that you know of,did he serve Overseas???

nellys

Sorry , I've posted quite a few things over the last few days, didn't want to bore anyone. He got the Victory medal and The British Medal, Nel

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Are you sure there is not a "----------------"------------------" Below were it says Victory,this is the indicationof BWM also being awarded as the Victory cannot be awarded without the BWM.{I presume there was also a Code for the Roll Page after Victory Medal:}Remember Medal Index Cards weren't designed as a Research tool but were Official Cards to denote the issue of Medals for Government Deartment use.

Pair Cards Are not usually very helpful in giving information,for KiA Details SDGW {CD~Rom}or CWGC On~line Site is the Tool to use.

Exactly!

Guest Prospero

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS. YES, I HAVE FOUND TWO VERY INDISTINCT DITTOS BELOW THE ENTRY FOR THE VICTORY MEDAL. THANKS AGAIN ALL.