Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 9th East Lancashires in Macedonia

bushfighter

Should any Member be interested in my interpretation of the story of the 9th East Lancashires in Macedonia then please peruse

http://www.kaiserscross.com/304501/552343.html

(I was born in Accrington 73 years ago and this is my tribute to that battalion.)

Harry

Harry

When I clicked the link in your post on the 9th East Lancs my heart sank and I was desperately disappointed. This is in no way a criticism of the excellent work you have done in documenting and honouring this battalion. My Grandfather served with the 9th East Lancs from November 1916 to April 1917 when he was transferred to the Army Service Corps. When I started researching his military service over three years ago there was nothing online about this unsung battalion who served in a forgotten side show and indeed if you carry out a google search of the 9th East Lancs you will find all the posts I have made here about them and little else. I went on to carry out extensive research into the Mechanical Transport Company he served in for over two years (see my website), however it was always my intention to return to the 9th East Lancs and create a website dedicated to them. I still have a lot of work to do on my own site but when I have finished I will take a leaf out of your book and research one of the other unsung battalions that served in Macedonia. Thank you (tinged with a little sadness) for what you have done I am sure that my Grandfather would have been very pleased.

Mark

Mark

If we each do a bit in the way that we can perform best then there will be a build-up of information that future interested parties can collate.

I happen to have been a soldier for much of my life and so I enjoy digging into war diaries, citations for medals etc, and constructing a narrative around them.

Your efforts are much more expansive on the battalion than mine are, so keep on producing!

Harry

• 1 month later...

Harry,

Splendid tribute and remembrance for the courage and sacrifice of the 9th East Lancashires on a distant and forgotten front of the Great War. People, places and events

come alive after a century with the immediacy and vividness of the participant's account rather than the retrospective labours of the historian.

Best regards,

Trelawney

• 1 year later...