Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

13 hours ago, ardyer said:

Toby I thought you might be interested in this photo from the Bustin collection that I am cataloguing

http://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/bustin-image-collection/military-portraits/166542-285-pl1jpg#prettyPhoto

It is the First Herefordshire RVC and I have dated it to roughly contemporary with the Boer war

That is simply STUNNING thank you!  A new style of cloth Insignia for me and  type of "Khaki/Drab" Frock that is new to me, it is similar to the 1899 Frock. To top it off nicely they are armed with the Martini Enfield Carbine.  Thank you for sharing! 

Toby 

Members of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Lincolns at mealtime c1904. Lots of nice little details in this image. Note the use of the Slouch hat, 1882 equipment and the piped trousers of the VF. The Postcard was sent in 1910, but it certainly pre-dates that! 

Title reads LINCOLN. 

Lincoln%201%20VB_zpswkjbj3rw.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

On 15/07/2017 at 00:34, Muerrisch said:

cannot open image please.

Fixed, I hope! 

5968fb09152e8_Lincoln1VB.jpg.896b8fd07f6338bede02e0fce6d9c30e.jpg

It's interesting to note that quite a number of VF units had 1902 SD made up in their traditional grey wool.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2nd Battalion Scots Guards 1910.  Lots of nice details in this postcard and a great study of their cloth shoulder titles. Note "twists" and standard shoulder straps in still in use alongside each other.  

There is one Distance Judging Star and even a chap attempting to "pick pocket" at the rear! 

596c82f171ebc_SG1910.jpg.917307b1eebd875c87f0409fe4717320.jpg

596c83fe6c8c6_SG19102.jpg.25837d536e11e47681d5fd12296b4612.jpg

Volunteer Royal Engineers c1890s. Still equipped with the MLM MK1*. The only reason I snapped this postcard up was that I believe the chap nearest the camera is wearing the very rare Flaming Grenade Efficiency Badge for the Volunteer Submarine Miners.  

This is the only image I have ever seen of it!

An image of it doesn't even appear in the wonderful Edwards and Langley book. 

s-l1600.jpg.6088040d6992ac2e77a34112f3a398d4.jpg

This appears to be a RE Sergeant  but can anyone identify the belt buckle please. Submarine miners perhaps?

TR

IMG_4170.jpg.0fca154dd12f661afc959b1370384b47.jpg

You mean Pre-War with the Brodrick!

Appears to be the NCOs R.E Belt buckle, I note extra wording on the scroll so perhaps a Volunteers variation? 

Still with the Victorian Era Crown not uncommon in this bizarre early Edwardian  transitional period. 

Below is the Edwardian Version and the Victorian belt centre badge. 

belt.jpg.ad3bc1cd65d94e8652bd7898d42afbf8.jpg

596f35c9a445f_s-l225(1).jpg.b96cff8a4c006debce203d46272b65b8.jpg

6 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Volunteer Royal Engineers c1890s. Still equipped with the MLM MK1*. The only reason I snapped this postcard up was that I believe the chap nearest the camera is wearing the very rare Flaming Grenade Efficiency Badge for the Volunteer Submarine Miners.  

This is the only image I have ever seen of it!

An image of it doesn't even appear in the wonderful Edwards and Langley book. 

s-l1600.jpg

Flattery will get you everywhere, thank you.

Regarding the Submarine Miner badge [for which thanks!], I have seen an example in a photo of a PIPER! Where or when I know not, but I suspect my source was Graham Stewart, who I will contact. My most diligent search of my lap top for  ........... submarine ............. miner ..................piper etc etc had drawn a blank.

On 20/07/2017 at 01:23, Muerrisch said:

Regarding the Submarine Miner badge [for which thanks!],

A better shot for you! 

Note the EE, Electrical Engineers! 

"In 1897 a new volunteer corps was organized to assist in the submarine mining service, especially with regard to the working of the electric lights. This was the Corps of Electrical Engineers, of which the officers were men of science and leading members of the electrical profession, who were prepared to assist in these important military duties; the rank and file were practical electricians or students of electrical engineering."

SM1.jpg.48e2e2f052887d5a43489f788856220f.jpg

597253ee1143d_Piper-T.E.E..jpg.a9858e79e9db634225534557a3a55f7e.jpg

Grumpy - think this is the photo you remember

• 2 weeks later...

1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders group. Some nice uniform details here and some some bizarre North of the border customs that elude me, perhaps Hogmanay. 

Nice study of the cloth shoulder titles on the early Service Dress and Greatcoats also with titles.

AGSH.jpg

Toby,

The phrase "we're nae sae fu'" translates as "we're not so full of drink (as you think we may be)". A small joke as they're clearly having a laugh in the photo.

Looks like "wee Mac" in the middle is being made the centre of attention for some reason.
Possibly a significant birthday, a forthcoming marriage or even a leaving doo?

Cheers,
Derek.

Thank you Derek!  Reading it aloud in an attempted Scottish accent it does make sense now! 

fu' (pronounced Foo) is still often used in areas of the country to mean drunk.

Cheers,

Derek.

4th (Volunteer) Battalion of the Cheshires in covered Brodricks. C1904

4VB Cheshires.jpg

4VB Cheshires2.jpg

Not strictly insignia related but there are a few Cloth STs!  

A stunning 12 minute video The Invasion of England!  well worth a watch if you have a passion for the pre-war era!  

Some great shots of the Naval 1901 & Sea Servic Equipment, Mills Orndorff and plenty of 1888 goodness!  Note the covered Brodricks.

Edited by Toby Brayley

A rather young looking Sgt 1st Volunteer Battalion of the R.W FUSILIERS

Vol.jpg

On 8/2/2017 at 14:30, Derek Black said:

Toby,

The phrase "we're nae sae fu'" translates as "we're not so full of drink (as you think we may be)". A small joke as they're clearly having a laugh in the photo.

Looks like "wee Mac" in the middle is being made the centre of attention for some reason.
Possibly a significant birthday, a forthcoming marriage or even a leaving doo?

Cheers,
Derek.

My guess from looking at him would be a celebration to mark his coming off the boy's roll and onto that of the men.  It meant a pay rise and a move into the mens' barrack block.

Edited by FROGSMILE