Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

The latest addition to my collection and probably the most bizarre one to date. 

Central South African Railway Volunteers 1907.  If you can see past the wonderful Maxims, CSARV titles are on their shirts. 

CSAR Maxim 1.jpg

CSAR Maxim 4.jpg

CSAR Maxim 2.jpg

Interesting to see shirts with collars and sleeves down rather than KD, or SD jackets.  Also the cap Insignia looks very like the universal grenade badge.

It is a Flaming Grenade with CSARV scroll. I must admit had there been no initials on the PC  I would never   guessed ! 

s-l300.jpg

34 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

It is a Flaming Grenade with CSARV scroll. I must admit had there been no initials on the PC  I would never   guessed ! 

s-l300.jpg

I’ve never seen that badge before, Toby, thank you for posting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Army Ordnance Corps group sent from "H.M Gun Wharf, Chatham" by Joe in November 1910.

I would hazard a guess that  the photo was taken earlier than 1910 due to the the AOC and RAMC Cloth Titles.

An array of uniforms are depicted here including early S.D with twists, the AOC Frock and even a K.D Frock. A nice mix of trade badges are also seen, including wheelwright, artificers/armourers and "saddlers".

AOC.jpg

AOC1.jpg

Great images Toby and especially intriguing to see an AOC cloth title that seems to show the letters to be trimmed and shaped individually rather than set conventionally on a simple,  curved patch.  I’m assuming that the soldier trimmed the letters himself, which seems odd.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great images Toby and especially intriguing to see an AOC cloth title that seems to show the letters to be trimmed and shaped individually rather than set conventionally on a simple,  curved patch.  I’m assuming that the soldier trimmed the letters himself, which seems odd.

That seems to be the style of the AOC title. Similar to the RFA, RGA examples. 

15578830_10154405638568051_7626844860277745426_n.jpg

21728393_10214038963266502_6159781009276290225_n.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

12 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

That seems to be the style of the AOC title. Similar to the RFA, RGA examples. 

15578830_10154405638568051_7626844860277745426_n.jpg

21728393_10214038963266502_6159781009276290225_n.jpg

I have seen the Infantry version as all being on a patch (e.g. NOTTS&DERBY) and assumed the same for Corps and Departments, but from what you have shown it seems that non-Infantry used individual letters. They would have been difficult to stitch on evenly and neatly.

Edited by FROGSMILE

indeed, I am unsure if they are a cutout single piece or individual letters,  but the above I posted really does look like individual letters sewn on. 

The RFA/RGA etc  are a single piece but trimmed.

19620504_1889167337991092_1797871816776089402_o.jpg

2 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

indeed, I am unsure if they are a cutout single piece or individual letters,  but the above I posted really does look like individual letters sewn on. 

The RFA/RGA etc  are a single piece but trimmed.

19620504_1889167337991092_1797871816776089402_o.jpg

Very few such badges seem to have survived and I can think of but few publications in which they are illustrated beyond the odd ‘example’ here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

A tad early perhaps but a great study of an unknown Proficient Volunteer Light Infantry Colour Sjt with the crossed bugles and swords. As discussed from Post #148

VOl LI Pfro Sjt comp.jpg

Great picture, he has a Victorian crown on his insignia and rank and the uniform is that of a Volunteer Battalion between around 1883 and 1902.  Do you know where the photo was taken?  The white facings  and helmet plate bespeak an English light infantry regiment.

Rather chuffed with this one to say the least,as its a great study of the Royal Sussex titles and 2nd Volunteer Battalion Tabs.

Also being worn is the Special Services Section.  There are plenty of Efficiency Stars on show and the seldom seen bugler badge. Sent from Arundel in 1907.

Royal Sussex 2.jpg

Royal Sussex.jpg

Superb photo Toby, our friend Muerrisch will be salivating at such a range of badges and the VB shoulder titles especially are rarely seen so clearly.

Edited by FROGSMILE

T-RGA-Devon. The man second left rear sports a 5 point star. Would this be for efficiency or distance judging?

Scan_20180310 (2).jpg

Scan_20180310 (9).jpg

5-point star for distance judging although other stars seem to have been used occasionally.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend visited the Cheshire Military Museum and snapped this. A fine example of the  Proficiency Star being worn to Regulations..above all other badges, even the crown.

29695117_2096845143888262_1018039402763039541_n.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

29572483_2096845530554890_4880943949249725760_n.jpg

Great examples as you say Toby, thank you for posting.

I like the spats worn by the Sussex man and that the buckles on his chinstrap are closer to the badge than later issue chinstraps. Regards, Paul. 

Edited by Wardog

Another new example to the thread. Mounted Infantryman of the 3rd Battalion (Regular not Militia) of the MIDDLESEX Regiment.  This  CDV came all the way from China! 

3 Bat Middlesex crop.jpg

3 Bat Middlesex.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

• 1 month later...

RAMC competition winners Aldershot 1906.  Another variation of RAMC cloth titles, a mix of twists and earlier shoulder straps and the Victorian Cap Badge. The note on the rear is rather amusing. The card was sent to Royal Victoria Hospital (Netley) saying "sorry you can't share in the medals despite your efforts in winning them with us, but they will be here when your ankle heals!" He obviously hurt himself during the competition, I wonder if he is the real casualty on the stretcher!

RAMC Sept 1906 to Netley.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

School of Musketry. 

20180531_085851.png

On 31/05/2018 at 09:00, Toby Brayley said:

School of Musketry. 

Thank you for this one Toby, it’s of special interest to me as a former SASC member, albeit just for 6-years.  I had read of the VR cap badge that was used by the School of Musketry for a short time on the Brodrick, but never seen one in use.  I am also curious as to the colour of the shoulder title, but I imagine white letters on scarlet, as the SofM had always been styled as infantry.  I cannot see any rank badge, which is puzzling.  At the time the SofM were established for just a few private soldiers to carry out administration, and I am wondering if that’s who we see here.  It looks like the muzzle cap end of an SMLE during the early trials.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It's a nice one , from Infantry Training 1905. It has been sat on my book shelf years until someone pointed the images out.  On much closer inspection it is interesting to note that although armed with Mk1 SMLE and the 1903 Bandolier Equipment he still carries a Mk1 (3 rivet) 1888 Bayonet,  one of the only images I have ever seen of it in use. 

received_2035036590070832.jpeg