Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

Volunteer RE unit at camp. The only image I have of the shoulder protector being worn. This image, although not the best example, shows the Proficient Sgts Star in its rightful place above all others on the seated Staff Sgt (with pipe). Its almost on his shoulder being above the Flaming Grenade and the Large Crown. 

59d4aabc1dab8_RETFatCamp.jpg.20bbe46d3739cc2a7836b1a87d4223c6.jpg

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

Volunteer RE unit at camp. The only image I have of the shoulder protector being worn. This image, although not the best example, shows the Proficient Sgts Star in its rightful place above all others on the seated Staff Sgt (with pipe). Its almost on his shoulder being above the Flaming Grenade and the Large Crown. 

Great photo Toby.  I can also see the star above all other badges on the sergeant wearing the frock with shoulder protector.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, Mike_H said:

1st Hants (Volunteer) RGA 1907

Wow.. that is fantastic! 

hEADSPINNING OFFERING!

lets see:

NINE button frocks 

Special Service Section badge

Geneva Cross [which does sometimes appear on men who are not entitled to wear it, such as here]

SB badge, correct for VF/TF.

Efficiency star

Another group of Gunners - 1st Cinque Ports Volunteer Artillery this time - about 1905 - 6  All heavily badged! Glad you enjoyed the Hants pic.

Mike

59d4df5fbf3d4_1stCinquePortsVlounteerArtillery1.jpg.c1504e3b442dd80244722e0c3f28f157.jpg

59d4df7a593d2_1stCinquePortsVolunteerArtillery2.jpg.eae0821f21991865e44fef7baef5474d.jpg

Superb. These are members of the First Prize battery for the year's competition [crossed guns, crown], with additional badges signifying third prize individual [G wreath], second prize individual gunner [G star wreath] and two gun layers [L wreath].

can just make out the efficiency stars and diamond , great image! 

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

hEADSPINNING OFFERING!

lets see:

NINE button frocks 

Special Service Section badge

Geneva Cross [which does sometimes appear on men who are not entitled to wear it, such as here]

SB badge, correct for VF/TF.

Efficiency star

I am wondering whether Vol units that had no Hospital Corps/RAMC personnel on their unit establishment sent their Hospital Sergeant for external training that then qualified him to wear the Geneva Cross.  In a similar way I have noticed that Vol units had their own (cap badged) Armourer Sergeants with hammer and pincer badge because they were not ‘established’ for a AOC Armourer.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A last offering for today - 25th London (Cyclists) in July 1909 with their Colt MG.  Not so many badges in this one but the text on the reverse of the PC may raise a smile!

59d4f2fe99762_25thLondon(Cyclists)1.jpg.d95d3c098672d29f13d7ea7c9f733678.jpg

59d4f32f0df65_25thLondon(Cyclists)2.jpg.26b7c9ce6e6234850d34610b305e451b.jpg

59d4f3d77910d_25thLondon(Cyclists)1(Reverse).jpg.463082eb54ed3f6b5eafaa5ae17e2eb7.jpg

Here is a little offering to illustrate the radical tunic collar change of 1912, most noticeable on "Royal" regiments, who edged the blue collar with white braid/piping.. The old design has rounded front and braid on top. The new had square collar and braid beneath, thus satisfying the heraldic imperative that "colours" should be separated, in this case by a "metal", white. Group photos 1912, 1913 often show both designs.

dImage may contain: 2 people

On 4/13/2016 at 18:40, tocemma said:
A plain strap which followed again with the rear loop fastening. On this example it is just possible to make out an impression where the brass letters 'CG' Coldstream Guards were worn. This one was especially badly mothed!

post-7141-0-30449700-1460568994_thumb.jp

post-7141-0-38805200-1460569009_thumb.jp

Note the printed WD 2 on the earlier strap and the number 3 faintly visible on this one.

Lastly, a photo which shows the twisted cord straps still in use as late as December 1914. The elderly chap in the centre foreground, very likely a reservist, still has them on his jacket. I think these chaps were 7th Londons, 'Shiny Seventh' Sorry for the low resolution scan on this one, I'll dig out the original and scan the chap in the middle again.

post-7141-0-68799300-1460569181_thumb.jp

Regards

Tocemma

I think here we see the large size chevrons on the greatcoat, which to my eyes seem bigger than on the SD jacket.

1 hour ago, Mike_H said:

A last offering for today - 25th London (Cyclists) in July 1909 with their Colt MG.  Not so many badges in this one but the text on the reverse of the PC may raise a smile!

59d4f32f0df65_25thLondon(Cyclists)2.jpg.26b7c9ce6e6234850d34610b305e451b.jpg

25th London (Cyclists) 1.jpg

25th London(Cyclists) 1 (Reverse).jpg

Brilliant ! I did read that right did I not ?!?! 

A decent study of the Highland Light Infantry Title. Taken at Longmoor Camp, perhaps on the M.I course. 

HLIzoom.jpg.8d7eaf6d213cf7c49efc46c113ffbc9a.jpg

HLI.jpg.78b17e173c359d8221841a531c0dd8b7.jpg

Proficient NCOs of the Manchesters.  Dated 1913 on reverse, note (under magnification) they all still wear Victorian Crowned  buckles.

59d749ddd3639_ManchesterSNCOs.jpg.0e7d2d7b8c25a5a77f2be43ed618a415.jpg

A new one I've picked up. 1st Cameron Highlanders.

59d774f473df0_unnamed(5).thumb.jpg.957f99a73f2a96074001beb0984bb0f4.jpg

unnamed.jpg.db9c6d10122992b82af842794c3b9421.jpg

Nice picture of bandsmen at annual Summer training camp, always a big event in the battalion calendar.

The 1st Cinque Port Volunteers - outside Crowborough railway station,  from a postcard sent of 7th August 1906. Apologies for the quality of the picture - not my scanner but the photographer's process -blame "The Mezotint Co., Brighton" if you can find them!

Mike

59d7a55d7a1df_1stCinquePortVolunteers19062.jpg.d38917c3eb3e0bfbd20fef5e3f640baf.jpg

59d7a58888bff_1stCinquePortVolunteers19061.jpg.77925117a5ba4a60c6c5eb1f10e7b6be.jpg

53 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Nice picture of bandsmen at annual Summer training camp, always a big event in the battalion calendar.

And a fairly late survival of the beautiful old band badge on the man with distance judging star and one Good Conduct badge.

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

And a fairly late survival of the beautiful old band badge on the man with distance judging star and one Good Conduct badge.

Yes and I did notice that many of the other men have the same, old style badge.

Notice the much shorter skirt to the original, 1902 pattern jacket compared with the later patterns.

2 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Added to this thread as requested by Toby............

Super thank you. 

1st June 1911. A hospital abroad.

A few nice little details the L/Bdr not only wears the Gun Layers trade badge (L in wreath) and the Crossed Rifles surmounted by Crown prize badge (best shot in his Battery) but he also wears the rare 1st prize Efficient Gunners badge, a wreathed old English G surmounted by Crown and awarded to the most efficient Gunners in each Battery or Company of Artillery.

The reverse is quite funny!

"Dear Vera,

Received your kind card although I think you had better send them under cover in future as the last went all round the office before I received it. No I had not been round the Brewery that day as I am in Hospital as you see. Best Wishes, Yours very sincerely Harry."

RA Hospital 1911 2.jpg

RA Hospital 1911.jpg

1st Wiltshire Rifle Volunteers with beautiful black embroidered titles. 

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

33 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Super thank you. 

1st June 1911. A hospital abroad.

A few nice little details the L/Bdr not only wears the Gun Layers trade badge (L in wreath) and the Crossed Rifles surmounted by Crown prize badge (best shot in his Battery) but he also wears the rare 1st prize Efficient Gunners badge, a wreathed old English G surmounted by Crown and awarded to the most efficient Gunners in each Battery or Company of Artillery.

The reverse is quite funny!

"Dear Vera,

Received your kind card although I think you had better send them under cover in future as the last went all round the office before I received it. No I had not been round the Brewery that day as I am in Hospital as you see. Best Wishes, Yours very sincerely Harry."

RA Hospital 1911 2.jpg

RA Hospital 1911.jpg

I beg to suggest your comments on the lance-bombardier with two Good Conduct badges need gentle correction.

RA did not compete for musketry prizes [they did a rudimentary musketry course only] so I had a very close look and I think the badge is crossed guns and crown, the Battery First Prize, so I take him to be the best gunner in the best battery. The other minor point is that there was a fair bit of hooha regarding Layer badges a few years previously and they were moved from left cuff [skill=at-arms or prize] to upper right to signify that they were an appointment. The meaningful distinction is that appointment badges did not have to be requalified annually.

Having said that, a cracker of a photo!