Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

5 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

It is the ASC Brodrick,  it was blue with white braid. 

Yes, Toby, it’s just that in the image concerned the piping did not seem to my eyes as ‘white’ as I would have normally expected to see.  Grubby perhaps.  Here’s another: 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ahhh my apologies. As you say, I suspect it is a mixture of the film and dirt, as you can see the chap above it is not gleaming white and he is evidently ASC.   I do think that the mix of headgear in the original photograph is fantastic! 

*edit* thank you for the link! 

123.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Yes, the piping appears narrower than some I’ve seen too.  The colour post card shows the contrast nicely.

In relation to post #479. 4th Volunteer Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment. 

728762931_4thBtnHAmpshires4.jpg.ebe16ce502a7e6450e12855cd5b7f9e7.jpg

An original example of the Shoulder title and an even rarer image of the reverse. 

HANTS4Vst1.jpg.2c5e5c422d6c8d0b10a464f64adf4749.jpg

599314109_STrear.JPG.051fc42b506f387bf6e59f8631340135.JPG

A proficient Royal Artillery Volunteer Sjt. With Proficiency, efficiency stars and Lozenge. 

VOl RA Sgt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Please can I seek the panels opinion of this title. I am leaning towards pre-1914, perhaps an interim item whilst metal T titles were awaited.

Thanks, Stephen.

T-6-ESSEX emb title (1).jpg

T-6-ESSEX emb title (2).jpg

On 30/03/2019 at 03:36, badjez said:

Please can I seek the panels opinion of this title. I am leaning towards pre-1914, perhaps an interim item whilst metal T titles were awaited.

Thanks, Stephen.

T-6-ESSEX emb title (1).jpg

T-6-ESSEX emb title (2).jpg

Metal titles were issued again from 1907 (regulars) and 1908-09 (TF), allegedly because the cost of wool increased and metal decreased.  In each case phased in (i.e. not issued to every unit simultaneously), my guess is that the badge you have was an initial pattern worn briefly on the removable type shoulder straps worn before the later type became fixed. We know they are for shoulder straps because the curve has a concave top. The type worn on the top of arms had a convex top.

13 hours ago, badjez said:

Not yet tried BCBF as I thought I might get a more informed reply from this forum.

Thanks for looking anyway,

Stephen.

A very Interesting piece Stephen! I have never seen an example before.  If you find any further information please do share with us. Do you have dimensions of the title?  It is obviously post 1908, I also suspect from its construction and style that is is from a fixed style shoulder strap or maybe even a cut up slip on title? 

Regards

Toby

Edited by Toby Brayley

Latest arrival, regular Royal Garrison Artillery c1906. Brilliant study of the scarlet on blue cut out style RGA cloth Shoulder title as well as a number of Prize Gunnery Badges. 

RGA 1.jpg

RGA 2.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

11 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Latest arrival, regular Royal Garrison Artillery c1906. Brilliant study of the scarlet on blue cut out style RGA cloth Shoulder title as well as a number of Prize Gunnery Badges. 

RGA 1.jpg

RGA 2.jpg

Possibly a bit easier on the eye.

217474755_RGA1.jpg.198bba1dff3a95e83d8af72284fad3fa.jpg

Much better thank you Derek! 

Very chuffed with the latest arrival.  Wonderful image (unsent PC) of the 6th Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Scots.  Fine study of the Shoulder titles. 

6VBRS.jpg.ea89e7bfa33513be9c2b61a6f68d07b9.jpg

6VBRS.jpg.2f3e539991e28f8838d2e2dbf59f8f63.jpg

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

Much better thank you Derek! 

includes a trumpeter with trumpet, an a ?? with bugle including cord. Not a "bugler" [no establishment or pay grade] and no trumpet badge. Under training perhaps?

R.A Harness maker etc. 5 button frock.

1600491755_RAHarnessMarker1890s.jpg.1e4a0a776e524aa173aa9faabbfbf12d.jpg

863655451_RAHarnessMarker1890s2.jpg.300369e7a915d24044aaf74970c0af65.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Super view of the RA 5-button undress frock, Toby. Thank you for posting.  I think that the trade in full was ‘Saddle tree and Harness maker’, although the nomenclature changed over the years.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Volunteers from the Kings Own. Nice shot of the Vol, Proficiency, Efficiency Star and lozenge. 

Kings Own.jpg

A good view of the collar badge used initially on the Field Service Cap too, Toby.  Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

A rather timely post for today (yes, I have been saving it) 

F Company, 2nd Btn Northumberland Fusiliers. Colour-Sjt seated front wearing the best shot in Company and best shot in Battalion badges. The Picture was taken during the St. George's Day celebrations, Gravesend,1904. 

NF F Coy.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Finally acquired an image of the Drivers prize badge.  A crystal clear image of it at that!  Some very nice details in this postcard.

1809251283_RHADriver1.jpg.312ca62c2e925ac46a0b1f9ae75bddce.jpg

1201817743_RHADriver2.jpg.211f968a53666da328a9118fa4af00ba.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

F Company, 2nd Btn Northumberland Fusiliers. Colour-Sjt seated front wearing the best shot in Company and best shot in Battalion badges.  The only image I have seen of the Brodrick adorned with the hackle. The Picture was taken during the St. George's Day celebrations, Gravesend,1904. 

NF F Coy.jpg

Are these hackles or red and white roses?

1 hour ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Are these hackles or red and white roses?

They are red and white roses, traditionally worn by the Northumberland Fusiliers (prev 5th Regt of Foot) on St George’s Day as a long-standing regimental tradition.  In this case they are seen on the Brodrick ‘universal forage cap’ worn between 1900-1905.

5DBAAEA4-526A-4C1B-973F-EC75B8705643.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Super stuff thank you for clearing that up.  They are without doubt the red and white rose. 

Edited by Toby Brayley

9 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

F Company, 2nd Btn Northumberland Fusiliers. Colour-Sjt seated front wearing the best shot in Company and best shot in Battalion badges. The Picture was taken during the St. George's Day celebrations, Gravesend,1904. 

NF F Coy.jpg

The colour sergeant is wearing a staff tunic so is probably the CSgt Asst Instr Musketry. Thus wearing at least three sets of crossed rifles. Any chance of a better scan please?