Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest Michael Green Halifax

Guest Michael Green Halifax

Hi, This is my first entry here, so please bear with me, I'm researching the 21st. Btn. (Wool Textile Pioneers) West Yorkshire regiment. I am particularly interested in the war diaries for the Somme battles, July 1916 onwards, as I am in the process of obtaining a medal group to Capt (later Lt. Col.) Arthur WALKER MC, who received his award there, but I don't know what for. The London Gazette entry for Jan 1917 simply lists him along with many others as being a recipient.

Can anyone help please?

To add further interest, he served in the ranks with the Worcesters for 21 years up to 1910, and received a long service medal (WO2) and was awarded an MSM in 1950!

Any info towards this research would be greatly received.

This is somewhat of a departure from my original interest, that is the Duke Of Wellingtons (West Riding) Regiment - Territorials WW1 and Volunteer Service Companies Boer War, of which I have a whole mass of data and info.

Thanks for reading this, and for any possible future contact.

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can't help with MC citation but according to the Army List July 1916 the following is shown under West Yorks 21st Service Battalion [Wool Textile Pioneers]:

Adjutant.

WALKER, Capt.[temp] A. 13 Oct 1915.

Probably see you at Wakefield.

Ian.

Hi Michael and welcome to the Forum.

I have a particular interest in this Battalion as a relative of mine was one of the two fatalities incurred on the 1/7/16.

The chap in question was Private Reginald Dean, the other fatality being a Private Chadwick. The latter is buried at Mailly Maillet Wood Cemetery but unfortunately Reg was not found and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

I can't really help you on your original posting, but i do happen to have a number of photographs of graves of members of the Battalion who were killed on the Somme if that is of any interest to you?

The attached image is of the panel on the memorial at Thiepval commemorating Captain (Temporary) Edmund Boulnois who served as second-in-command to Captain Noon (A Company, 1/7/16). Edmund was killed on the 23/10/16.

Drop me a P.M. Michael.

Regards, Chris.

post-1-1100882419.jpg

• 3 years later...
Hi Michael and welcome to the Forum.

I have a particular interest in this Battalion as a relative of mine was one of the two fatalities incurred on the 1/7/16.

The chap in question was Private Reginald Dean, the other fatality being a Private Chadwick. The latter is buried at Mailly Maillet Wood Cemetery but unfortunately Reg was not found and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

I can't really help you on your original posting, but i do happen to have a number of photographs of graves of members of the Battalion who were killed on the Somme if that is of any interest to you?

The attached image is of the panel on the memorial at Thiepval commemorating Captain (Temporary) Edmund Boulnois who served as second-in-command to Captain Noon (A Company, 1/7/16). Edmund was killed on the 23/10/16.

Drop me a P.M. Michael.

Regards, Chris.

Greetings, Chris, from the Canterbury Plains. NZ

I would be interested in anything that you can tell me (or have) on Captain Edmund Boulnois.

My local Darfield Genealogy and Family History Group is doing a LEST WE FORGET project on WW1 casualties from our area. Edmund's father Arthur Boulnois was sheep farming at Aylesbury on the Canterbury Plains quite near to where I live.

The Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph website records an obituary

"Captain Edmund Boulnois, West Yorkshire Regiment. This officer, who is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Boulnois, of Aylesbury, Canterbury, New Zealand, is reported to have been killed in action on October 23rd, 1916." (Chronicles of N.Z.E.F., 15 November 1916, p. 129)

I was trying to get at the photo of the memorial that you posted, but anything sent to g.hoult at igrin dot co dot nz would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Graham

Heres his MID MIC

His other MIC Campaign medals gives Christchurch addy plus looks like he was commisioned from ranks ASC.(Wont let me post its too big!)

Ady

post-9371-1216032686.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Graham

Heres his MID MIC

His other MIC Campaign medals gives Christchurch addy plus looks like he was commisioned from ranks ASC.(Wont let me post its too big!)

Ady

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I would be happy for you to post the other file direct. Did you spot my coded contact details?

There doesn't seem to be any NZ record for Edmund. I think he must have enlisted in the UK.

Army service corps 1491

Army service corps T4/242000

Theatre of war France

Entry therein 16/6/1916

1st address is 22 Jacksons Road

Fendalton

Christchurch

New Zealand

Ellie

Hi Michael.

I have just come across this thread.

Unfortunately, i can't really add very much about Edmund other than has already been posted.

One interesting thing however that springs to mind. I see that you come from Halifax, Yorkshire. If my memory serves me correctly, isn't there a memorial, in the form of a tapestry, located in a church in Halifax to the 21st Battalion?

I will have a look later Michael to see what information i do have as regards the 21st Battalion and send you a P.M.

Kindest regards,

Chris.