Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

207th Company Machine Gun Corps

escrick

I have access to a contemporary manuscript book being Part 11 (2) Orders of the above MGC company. This book provides a detailed record of the strength of the company from 11 February 1917 to the end of the war. It names the individual soldiers and also provides an almost daily record of the 'comings and goings', for example, leave, transfers, hospital, drafts, wounded and kia. It

also records all disciplinary action taken against individual soldiers for their various transgressions.

The company was commanded by Capt. A. M. Gelsthorpe but most of the entries were signed-off by a Lt. E. S. Elliston, who was

presumably the Adj.

I am a recent member so only within the last couple of months or so, I came across a request on the forum for information about

Pte. 13704 Polutzi Ferritto. This request was dated 21 Jan 2013 and was made by a member Calling himself Carso but who signs his

posts as Rob. He was then living in Holland and is a member of this soldier's family. That's all I know.

Pte. Ferritto served with this MGC Company and was killed in action on 25 Sept 1917. He lived in Norbiton. I replied to Rob's post to inform him that I do have information about his relative and invited him to contact me but I have received no response. This is understandable as his request was made so long ago, Rob has probably long since ceased to check whether there are any further replies.

If any members know Carso/Rob or have any suggestions as to how he may be traced, I shall be pleased to hear from them.

The site administrator has not been able to assist.

I'm now getting on a bit and it would be a pity if I could not help Carso/Rob to find out more about his relative.

Thanks.

John Guest.

john@guest78.freeserve.co.uk

Have you tried a pm. His settings might notify him via email of a pm.

Look folks. I'm in my 70's. I have never been taught how to use a computer and I do not find it easy to use this site. I'm not blaming anyone but myself although I cannot understand why I input my user name and password to find that I cannot be recognised. Is it just me?

A kind person has responded to a recent post advising me to try a pm. I'm sorry but I don't understand. I know what p.m. means and I regret that I also understand pmt, but I would love to know what a pm is in the context of this kind reply. Whoever you are, thanks for trying to help me but I fear that I shall be taking my info about Pte. Ferritto to my grave.

Your post has appeared so you are doing something right! Your user name is attached to your post, so we know who you are.

A pm is a private message.

If you click on the posters name you should get a window with their profile. On it is a button 'Send me a message' Some members select to be notified by email that there is a message for them.

The member you wish to contact has not been around for a while but might respond to a pm.

Carso

Member Since 12 Nov 2010
OFFLINE Last Active May 02 2014 06:25 AM

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

John,

My grandfather Reginald Edwin Bowman served in this unit in Mesopotamia in 1918. He was a signaller and became a corporal after the Battle of Shergat (Sharquat)

I have a book on the 18th (Indian) Division which took part and lists his Company and the same officers you mentioned in your post.

I also have his diary and pocket book, all transcribed.

Any unit information or links you could supply me with would be most gratefully received.

Thank you

Dave Bowman (Ekelhid)

Reg in Mespot 2 photos 001.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hello Escrick....You mentioned a Lt. E S Elliston signing off reports in your post of October 25 2015. Did he sign like this photo? If so its the same man that was writing the war diary entries for 97th MCG in March 1916.

Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 00.37.40.png