Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trooper T Pengilley.

Bob Coulson

Local war memorial has the inscription - TPR T PENGILLEY- CANADIAN.

The Canadian site has one Thomas Henry Pengilley died Nov 6th 1917.

Bit of a puzzler this, could this be my man.??

If so why would he be on a memorial in the N/E of England.??

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks.

Bob.

Bob

It's quite common for Canadian troops to be commemorated on British memorials.

They were usually men who had emigrated and still had relatives living in Britain.

I've come across quite a few examples in Calderdale.

Regards

Rob

Hi Bob

According to the CWGC site Private Pengilly was with the 2nd Battalion (Eastern Ontario). He was the son of Thomas and Emma Pengilly; husband of Hannah Bissell (formerly Pengilley), of 35, Whitworth Rd., Grangetown, Yorks., England.

The 2nd Bn. (part of the 1st Canadian Division) was involved in the attack on the village of Passchendaele on November 6, 1917. The 2nd Bn. was to advance on either side of the Meetcheele-Mosselmarkt road.

Garth

You have to remember that a large proportion of the Canadian Army were born in the UK and therefore quite rightly are commemorated on the memorials in their birthplaces where their parents would go to remember them . No doubt many were also commemorated on the memorials in Canada where they made their homes and quite rightly so.

What a small world!

I owned the 1914-15, BWM and Victory Trio to Pte. Thomas Pengilly 2nd Battalion (Eastern Ontario) in the mid-late 90's. The group originally came out of an Ontario based collector's collection, who's focus was exclusively the 2nd Battalion CEF, after he liquidated his entire holding. I subsequently purchased the group from a friend, and fellow collector here in Toronto. Sadly the group to Mr. Pengilly is long gone from my hands, and is out there somewhere, hopefully tucked away safely in someone's care.

Bob

have you tried to look up his attestation papers on the Canadian Archive website ? fascinating on-line detail if they've done him. I think they may be working through alphabetically as I've found my Finney but not my Walsh. Both Cheshire men who emigrated, incidentally.

John

Hi Ian:

Before I posted my message on Thomas Pengilly, I ask my wife what 'SHE' had done with a CEF statistics book I have. Off the top of my head 80+% of the first CEF soldiers that went overseas were born in the UK. When I find the book I'll post the exact figure.

Garth

Bob

The first and the last soldiers commemorated on the Rhayader Memorial in Mid Wales were with the Canadian forces (plus one inbetween). I have found that many of the lads who were not in line to inherit the family farm often left Wales to "seek their fortunes further afield."

During the late 19th century to early 20th Canada was the popular destination.

Myrtle

Hi Ian:

So much for off the top of my head; the figures aren't 80+%. :rolleyes:

Here's the breakdown in the enlistment numbers for the CEF by country of birth:

Canada: 1914 - 10,880 (30%) 1914-1919 - 318,705 (52%)

UK: 1914 - 23,211 (64%) 1914-1919 - 228,174 (36%)

Other: 1914 - 2,176 (6%) 1914-1919 - 72,757(12%)

Garth

Six out of 97 Bury Grammar School boys who died in WW1 were serving with the CEF. (We also have a New Zealander but no Aussies). The oldest, 54 year-old Driver Richard Hopkinson, Canadian Field Artillery, is actually buried in a family grave at Bury town cemetery I discovered this when I went looking for his grave and, not realising that he did not have a CWGC headstone, walked aimlessly round the appropriate section of the cemetery for some time.

Garth,

Thanks for those figures. Appropriate that Canada became the "majority share holder" as the war progressed. A cemetery with the Maple leaf in the majority is a fine sight in France and Flanders

I have the names of a few men from South Shropshire Absent Voters Lists, who are recorded as serving in Canadian or Aussie units and there are also one or who were serving in Yanky units. Seeing that they are recorded in these lists must mean that they were living in UK and not ex-Brits who emigrated.

What can I say, the forum comes up trumps again, many thanks to everyone for their info and explanations.

I am currently working my way through my second local memorial but this gent was the first Canadian I have come across.

I had searched the CWGC site but had forgotten to click on "Canadian" hence this posting.

And I thought I was getting good at researching.!!!!!!!!!!

Once again thanks to all.

Bob.