Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portrait photographs then and now

seaJane

This year's Poppy Appeal launches with a set of photographs of serving and retired members of the Armed Forces taken by the same camera in the same shop in Lewes 100 years apart:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11945935/Poppy-Appeal-Haunting-photographs-released-to-launch-2015-campaign.html

sJ

I've stopped looking at anything below the article! (sort of mental Queensberry rules).

This from the BBC 2014

The current owner of the studio, Tom Reeves, great-grandson of Edward Reeves who opened the business, said the shop had been handed from father to son and father to son "all the way down".

He said the shop had kept all its negatives and also the business ledgers that went with them, forming the Edward Reeves Archive, which will now be catalogued and made more accessible.

Thanks for the link to the Reeves archive, Charlie. It's just possible that some of my family came from Lewes so I'm rather intrigued...

yesterday on tv in an interview Brian Adams mentioned last year he produced a book of his photographs, titled I think wounded, the photos are of troops wounded in battle so I suppose this is then and now, never saw it on any news broadcast even tho the photos are stunning
Biff

Thanks Biff - I'll have a look for that!