Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers Francis Richard and James Bateson Edleston AIF from Lancashire

Waddell

I have been researching two brothers who served in the AIF and were born in Lancashire. The family seem to have arrived in Sydney several years before the war after emigrating from England.

The two brothers were Lance Corporal Francis Richard Edleston who enlisted with the 36th Battalion and later served with the 33rd Battalion AIF. He was killed in action on 20th June 1918. His birthplace was given as Wilpshire, Blackburn, England.

His younger brother Lance Corporal James Bateson Edleston served with the 2nd Field Company Engineers. His birthplace was given as Whittle Le Woods.

Both birthplaces appear to be in the greater Blackburn area.

Could someone with local knowledge suggest who I would contact to look for a newspaper look up for a possible obituary for Francis Richard Edleston? Would local libraries in the area have records of old newspapers? Any professional researchers in that area?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott

Whilpshire is definitely within the orbit of Blackburn, however Whittle-le-Woods was more within the orbit of Preston and nearby Chorley when I used to work up there.

Pete.

Thanks gents. That is a start.

Chris- thank you for having a look. There may not be one but the brothers were from a family of builders and I suspect that they would have been reasonably well known.

I have found mention of them on Trove locally.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I've searched all titles from the start of 1918 to the end of the year, using the search terms Edleston, Edelston, and Francis Richard, but unfortunately nothing relevant came up . . . the list of newspapers searched can be found by going to the home page at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and looking at 'choose a title' . . .

Chris

Hi Scott,

I've searched all titles from the start of 1918 to the end of the year, using the search terms Edleston, Edelston, and Francis Richard, but unfortunately nothing relevant came up . . . the list of newspapers searched can be found by going to the home page at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and looking at 'choose a title' . . .

Chris

Thanks for having a look Chris. It was an off chance that there would be one. Appreciated.

Scott

• 3 years later...

Hello Waddell

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 12:41, Waddell said:

I have been researching two brothers who served in the AIF and were born in Lancashire. The family seem to have arrived in Sydney several years before the war after emigrating from England.

The two brothers were Lance Corporal Francis Richard Edleston who enlisted with the 36th Battalion and later served with the 33rd Battalion AIF. He was killed in action on 20th June 1918. His birthplace was given as Wilpshire, Blackburn, England.

His younger brother Lance Corporal James Bateson Edleston served with the 2nd Field Company Engineers. His birthplace was given as Whittle Le Woods.

Could someone with local knowledge suggest who I would contact to look for a newspaper look up for a possible obituary for Francis Richard Edleston? Would local libraries in the area have records of old newspapers? Any professional researchers in that area?

Thanks,

Scott

I am the founder of the www.claytonandwhittleatwar.co.uk website

Whilst  trying to track down all those who are on my local memorial, I also research those who returned from duty and anyone associated with the both villages

I found the name of Lance Corporal James Bateson Edleston, I have not got round to doing much research for him

James Bateson Edleston

Born in Whittle le Woods

Reg no: 15701

L/Cpl , Sapper

2 Field Company Engineers

AIF

Enlisted February\April 1916 having lived over in Australia since between 1911 to 1916 I think

That's all I have for him

I am wondering if you ever made any progress in your research for him which may help me 

All the best

John Melling

www.claytonandwhittleatwar.co.uk

Hi John,

I wrote about the Edleston brothers for my book which was published last year. James and his older brother Francis are named on the Berowra War Memorial, in the north of Sydney. They lived at Mount Kuring-gai prior to enlisting (after their parents died) and a third brother, George, remained in Australia. Francis was killed in action in June 1918, whilst James returned to Australia.

James is also named on Hornsby War Memorial.

Attached is a story I wrote about them for my local newspaper. You will find the story on pages 10 and 11.

Let me know if you want more information. The book version of the story has a few more images related to their service.

I never found relatives or photographs of the brothers.

Scott

Edleston brothers.pdf

On 21/10/2015 at 12:41, Waddell said:

Thanks,

Scott

I photographed all of the Blackburn Weekly Telegraph for WW1  some 20 years ago for my research, I got fed up sitting in libraries skenning at viewers, that lot is among the 1000's of pics I took of all the  other local papers I photographed, they are  in one of my other computers. I'll have a look tomorrow, sorry I  can't help with the Chorley one, bit outside my patch.

12 hours ago, Waddell said:

Hi John,

I wrote about the Edleston brothers for my book which was published last year. James and his older brother Francis are named on the Berowra War Memorial, in the north of Sydney. They lived at Mount Kuring-gai prior to enlisting (after their parents died) and a third brother, George, remained in Australia. Francis was killed in action in June 1918, whilst James returned to Australia.

James is also named on Hornsby War Memorial.

Attached is a story I wrote about them for my local newspaper. You will find the story on pages 10 and 11.

Let me know if you want more information. The book version of the story has a few more images related to their service.

I never found relatives or photographs of the brothers.

Scott

Edleston brothers.pdf

Hello Scott

Thank you for the reply

I had a good read of your PDF, and I'm glad your research for the Berowra War Memorial has produced results.

James and Francis profiles have now been added to my website. And your PDF has helped provide such valuable information for the local history. 

What's the name of your book called as it may have to be added to my collection ;P if still in print 

I think there are some relatives of theirs on ancestry.co.uk with a family tree etc... But no pictures Im afraid.

I do like it when a profile has a face to a name. 

All the best

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

Thanks for having a look Walter.

John,

Will send you an email regards the book.

Scott

4 hours ago, Waddell said:

Thanks for having a look Walter.

John,

Will send you an email regards the book.

Scott

John I've looked thru the Blackburn  Weekly Telegraph, from June 20 to the end of August 1918, sorry but I couldn't find any reference to your man  Francis Richard Eddleston, There are other Blackburn Newspapers besides the Weekly Telegraph, but I didn't photograph  them, Have you tried contacting the Library, I do know that once of a day the had cardboard boxes of WW1 news cuttings pasted onto cards, not sure  how good their reference library section is now,  its well over 20 years since I was last in Blackburn Library.

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2015 at 12:41, Waddell said:

Thanks,

Scott

Hi

I missed this when it was first posted and I am wondering if you have made any progress and if you have contacted the Blackburn Library. They have an excellent collection of WW1 obituaries and the Blackburn newspapers are no online. 

I have noticed that that both brothers births were registered in the Leyland area of Lancashire and by the time the 1911 census was take the whole family was living in Wilpshire. The family left England for Australia in 1912. 

I could check the Blackburn Library sources if your require it

Tony

4 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

Hi

I missed this when it was first posted and I am wondering if you have made any progress and if you have contacted the Blackburn Library. They have an excellent collection of WW1 obituaries and the Blackburn newspapers are no online. 

I have noticed that that both brothers births were registered in the Leyland area of Lancashire and by the time the 1911 census was take the whole family was living in Wilpshire. The family left England for Australia in 1912. 

I could check the Blackburn Library sources if your require it

Tony

Tony,

If you get a chance and could check that would be appreciated. Even though the book is published, if photographs of the brothers do appear I would like to see them. I have been doing a few talks about the local soldiers and I could display them with the talks.

Your dates are correct. the earliest mention of I have of them in Mount Kuring-gai was 1912.

I had hoped some descendants of the brothers may have contacted me about them after writing about them, but that has not happened . You never know though, they may do so at some time.

Scott

On 05/04/2019 at 10:58, Waddell said:

Tony,

If you get a chance and could check that would be appreciated. Even though the book is published, if photographs of the brothers do appear I would like to see them. I have been doing a few talks about the local soldiers and I could display them with the talks.

Your dates are correct. the earliest mention of I have of them in Mount Kuring-gai was 1912.

I had hoped some descendants of the brothers may have contacted me about them after writing about them, but that has not happened . You never know though, they may do so at some time.

Scott

Scott

I was in Blackburn Library this morning but could not find any report of the death. I have noticed that the Ancestry website contains a detailed family tree. I don't know if you have seen this but it could be worth check the person who submitted the information

Tony

Thanks for having a look Tony.

Scott

• spof changed the title to Brothers Francis Richard and James Bateson Edleston AIF from Lancashire