Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

kings own photo

anthony

:blink: Hi,

posted this before in another section but did not get a great response.

I wondered who these men were- some seemed quite young and others quite old.No apparent medal ribbons, but a wound stripe on the middle row(next to the sergeant)?.

Was this a pre-war terriers camp or something else-I would really welcome your thoughts!

Cheers,

anthony B)

post-2-1100820176.jpg

Hi mate,

Seeing the equipment laying on the ground, my educauted guess would be a mounted regiment, as they seem to train in fencing with P 08 training sabers, bayonetpractice, but in the background lays a training lance. Can't see infantry troops train with those.

coo-ee

patrick

They've also got tin helmets on the ground. I'm not sure, but didn't tin hats get introduced in or shortly after 1915? Certainly not pre-war.

Any chance of a scan/close up of 2 or 3 men - so we can get a better look at the cap badges?

Les.

Hi guys-thanks for your thoughts.

They certainly seem to be a group "enjoying" some instruction, though I find it hard to imagine the 40+ group fencing.

The photo I am posting here is a close up of the cap badges.

Cheers

Ant

post-2-1100901772.jpg

The cap badges seem to be Kings Own, the instructor seems to point to 4th Kings Own, but the mixture of age groups and lack of medals confuse me. The only chap I can see with any evidence of service seems to be this chap- or does the stripe at the bottom of his arm mean something else?

Anthony

post-2-1100903029.jpg

Apologies, Anthony! They are clearly KO capbadges (Couldn`t quite make them out in the original). I should have realized that they are the old 4th of foot! I was a bit carried away by what looked like cavalry sabres. Phil B

Good point Ken. I'm no expert either but surely the rifles held by the young lad at the front hold a clue? What about the training rifles on the ground-if indeed this is what they are? :blink:

Anthony

post-2-1100993227.jpg

The centre helmet looks like a fencing helmet but the other 2 are too wide in the mesh and are presumably for bayonet practice (with the sticks with boxing gloves on the end). I assume the 2 stick things are training substitutes for bayonets. The presence of what looks like a PTI indicates a unit fencing/bayonet fighting team. ??? Phil B

Phil- PTI?

Can we assume they are a unit waiting to be sent overseas in the latter stages of the war, with one of them a soldier returning to the front after recieving a wound?

(thanks for the date Gavin)

Cheers,

Anthony

;)

Cheers phil,

I had just presumed that they were imitation rifles but all the equipment now seems to make sense.

Is there anyway we can put a date to the rifles or uniforms now?

Thanks,

anthony

One man wears a wound stripe on his left sleeve, so the photo must have been taken after 1916.

Anthony,

To be more specific, Wound Stripes were authorised in August 1916. I would have thought it was a couple of months before they began to appear on uniforms. I can't see anything else that would help to date the photo closer than late 1916-1919.

Regards

Gavin