Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiering On, Gen Sir H Gough.

armourersergeant

Can anyone let me know the concept of this book, i realise that Gough wrote a few books of which most cover the retreat of 1918. Would i be right in assuming that this one covers his life/career? or not.

regards

Arm.

Probably seen these already, but taken from ABE book descriptions, Arm.

260pp. 12 b/w photographs and illustrations on plates plus maps on endpapers. The autobiography of this leading W.W.1. general. Military experiences in India, South Africa and the Boer War (was at the relief of Ladysmith), Ireland and then commanding the 5th Army in WW1and the Fulham and Chelsea Home Guard in WW2.

Thanks Richard,

Had viewed Abe but did not see the discription you have posted, was just checking prices. Tried for Goughie by Farrar Hockley but you need a mortgage to get one of those.

regards

Arm.

• 1 month later...

Yes mate, the book covers his life, from service in South Africa, WWI, WWII and his retirement. It is quite a good read with some interesting snippets, especially concerning the Curragh Incident.

However, he does come across as a bitter old man who is rather scathing in his critisism of Allenby and Scobell as well as Sir John French.

It isn't cheap either with second-hand copies going for quite a lot. If you can get it cheap I would recommend buying it but don't go out of your way.