Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The maker of metal First World War Commemorative Seats ?

jonathanb2701

Recently I have seen photos of First World War metal commemorative park seats/benches in various parts of England.

The back of the seat is a black painted silhouette of advancing British soldiers, with a bunch of red painted poppies to the side

Does anyone know the maker or supplier of these seats ?

The reason for asking is my local War Memorial Committee would like to buy one for our recently dedicated and unveiled Community

War Memorial, in Fivemiletown, Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland.

If anyone can help with a name of a firm and a phone number, it would be very much appreciated.

Jonathan.

post-34497-0-92585600-1444937958_thumb.j

There is one just like this in Ringwood Hampshire.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if there is any makers plate.

Alan.

Thank you Alan, I'd be pleased to hear of any makers name plate on the seat.

Thank you RussT, I will send an email to the firm named on your link.

Jonathan,

The one in Ringwood is the same bench but appears to be different supplier to the one found by RussT.

Alan.

post-102890-0-53427400-1444998608_thumb.

post-102890-0-35183000-1444998631_thumb.

Hi Jonathon,

We have 4 of them in Newcastle and I know the man who fund raised for them and had them placed. He's actually a member on here but I don't think he's on very much.

I've sent him an email asking where he got them from and I'll let you know as soon as he tells me if he doesn't post the details himself.

Michael

post-108251-0-72049900-1445004328_thumb.

Thanks for all the replies to this post so far.

I received a quote by email today from Mant Leisure, { who were brought to my attention by RussT } of £765.00 plus £125.00 delivery for one seat to Northern Ireland.

I am interested to hear of another maker - David Oglivie Engineering { as posted by Alan24 - thanks for the excellent photos } who I will get in contact with ref price.

Thanks to Michael { Shiny } for the photo and information ref seats in Newcastle { Any information on the maker would be very welcome }

The First World War commemorative seats are a fine addition to any public area and help raise awareness of the Great War.

Hi Jonathan,

I've had the reply now, the Newcastle ones were also supplied by David Oglivie Engineering http://www.davidogilvie.com/

He didn't tell me a price but that's where they came from.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Thanks to everyone who posted information regarding the First World War Memorial seats.

The two firms mentioned above are both fairly similar in their price.

Our group will now consider the options.

• 7 years later...

I was in Tilshead this morning and saw three memorial seats. In addition to the design already illustrated,  there were these:Tilsheadseat2.jpg.d2c022261a456774846e9ba23cbd386e.jpgTilshead1.jpg.30f522cd9ec56783e026dea9fe3d6ab3.jpg

It looks as if the memorial to the Glider Pilot Regiment had only  just been delivered and was awaiting unpacking.

(Tilshead is very close to the Larkhill/Westdown ranges on Salisbury Plain, and Westdown Camp is close by -  on  a different site to West Down camping-site where many units spent their summer camps before the Great War. In the graveyard lies Walter Pendleton of the First Canadian Contingent who cut his throat at West Down North on November 7, 1914. In 1916 Dennis Wheatley, later "the prince of thriller writers", stayed at the Black Horse - recently closed - whilst training on the ranges. The landlady cooked very good meals and cakes and her cellar included vintage port that Wheatley - a wine merchant in civilian life - was happy to buy for 2s 6d a bottle.)