Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid

domwalsh

An interesting collection of Zeebrugge-related naval medals coming up at next month's Dix Noonan Webb auction. Preview of the lots, including several who were in the VC ballot, can be found on the DNW website

DNW auction also has an interesting 14-15 Star to Lt R.H. Wattts RMLI who was wounded in the Dardanelles then served with the 6th Battalion RM in Russia in 1919 where he was a central figure in the notorious "Mutiny in Murmansk". In the subsequent court martial, Captain Watts was acquitted on a charge of ‘Cowardice’ but convicted on a charge of ‘using words calculated to create alarm and despondency’. He was ordered to be dismissed from the service but in the event was ‘permitted to resign his commission at his own request’. He later served with the Black & Tans in Ireland.

• 4 years later...

Not been on here for a while....just catching up: I have Watt's 1914-15 Star & BWM so looking for his VM now: have one photo of him; any RMLI enthusiasts have any of him in the Dardenelles or Russia?...his service with the Auxies in Ireland has been mentioned in a couple of books, certainly not a coward!!!

I recently decided to start collecting WW1 medals and thought Zeebrugge Raid medals would be a good group to collect as the family has the medals and plaque if my Great Uncle who was killed in the raid. And then I saw the prices they go for. Much as I would love to collect them, they are a bit too expensive for me.

You're not the only person on this thread collecting Zeebrugge medals, as @domwalsh will tell you!

18 hours ago, Labeline said:

I recently decided to start collecting WW1 medals and thought Zeebrugge Raid medals would be a good group to collect as the family has the medals and plaque if my Great Uncle who was killed in the raid. And then I saw the prices they go for. Much as I would love to collect them, they are a bit too expensive for me.

If you can pick up unresearched medals to Zeebrugge men, then that's great, but prices for confirmed participants are very expensive.

May I ask for the name of your great uncle?

Best of luck.

Dom 

If you are keen to collect Zeebrugge men, there's a DSM and Victory Medal on DNW to an AB Summerhayes who was in the storming parties that attacked the Mole. I used to own the DSM.

2 hours ago, domwalsh said:

If you are keen to collect Zeebrugge men, there's a DSM and Victory Medal on DNW to an AB Summerhayes who was in the storming parties that attacked the Mole. I used to own the DSM.

Yes I saw that thanks. They are a bit rich for me.

2 hours ago, domwalsh said:

If you can pick up unresearched medals to Zeebrugge men, then that's great, but prices for confirmed participants are very expensive.

May I ask for the name of your great uncle?

Best of luck.

Dom 

Dom, we have communicated before. My Great Uncle was  Able Seaman Frederick Robert Scott. I am afraid I had the idea re collecting the medals before I looked at the prices! It’s something I should have done 30 years ago.

Paul

Edited by Labeline

3 hours ago, Labeline said:

Dom, we have communicated before. My Great Uncle was  Able Seaman Frederick Robert Scott. I am afraid I had the idea re collecting the medals before I looked at the prices! It’s something I should have done 30 years ago.

Paul

Ah yes, I recall you did a great research job on him.

Happy hunting!

Dom