Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German M.1871 Bayonet reduxit

trajan

Steve,

Great collection.

Mike.

Hey Don, I bet you have a great collection, that you are proud of. 

A collection your size must have variaty , periods, countries, your favorite models.

you can share with the forum anytime

I simply do not know my model type or what the unit numbers are on mine

Sorry, ment model type on another post

This is the standard S71 with the 75 date above, forgot this picimage.jpg.3f368fe512f66855c32512a8adc5f617.jpg

Another Matching S71

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey Donbogen

That is one of the nicest and best condition S71 Bayonet's I have seen! And I have seen a lot.

The best from that maker by far, I have 2 from them but compared to your's here , I would have to cover mine up.Exelent uncleaned overall, Exelent stampings, Name and Unit and to top it off, matching too, only upgrade would be a frog. Thank's VERY MUCH posting this!! ( I wish that was in my collection) The thing that stand's out the most to me is that your Regiment marking has ABSOLUTLY NO WEAR to it at all. Amazing, I may have a lot, even rare types but the wear on some of my marking's spark debate here on GWF as to what letter or number it is?

Hey Donbogen,

on my Brass Battalion, besides Side arms and parade stuff, how many types can you name from my 2 pic's there?

So, how do you pick a favourite???!!! Very impressive!!!!

17 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Hey Donbogen,

on my Brass Battalion, besides Side arms and parade stuff, how many types can you name from my 2 pic's there?

Hey Steve

That's a all german bundle

M 1871 Vetterle

M 1886 Lebel

Socket bayonet not sure apossible 1866 Chaspott no scaboard are the other 1866 look a likes  in brass mounted scaboards are they Rolling block bayonets ????

The socket is a British P56 I believe, modify to fit the M71 Mauser for, most people believe China.......... The Vetterli, See post

Bayonet Trivia#9 For M71/84 for Quebec..........The 3 Yatagan's are all one step Werder's for M71..........then have M71..........M71 pioneer / saw..........M60/71..........M71 Hirschfanger's, regular, and 65/71Hirsh.......... Then the M71PFM ( Pioneerfascheninmesser ) regular, 65/71 PFM and Bacarian M71/PFM,  then the Wurttenberg M71PFM, these were double edge with central fuller and last, the Extreamly Rare Mauser M79 Border Guards short rifle bayonet, under control of Army, Brass hilt with Press leather grips. 

I left out me 71/84 stuff, just did my Brass Bayonet's 

Oh, the French is for the Uraguan use of Dateateu ( spelling?) 6.5 conversion as 71/94 , I did a post showing the Rifles and bayonet's

Hey Julian, that Artillerie seitengewehre 71 you were talking about at beginning of post.... The original Dreyse M69 had that long pipe/quill back bayonet. Later on, they simply Bushed the MRD to fit the M71 Mauser, also milling down a flat on right side of muzzle ring to better see the low sights, later they converted again for 71/98

Anyway, These S60/71 were commonly called both Fusilier and Artillerie bayonet's, I am guessing because both types of unit's most likely used them..

The only Earlier German Bayonet's converted for the IG71 Mauser were the common Werder m69 bayonet..... The two Dreyse M65 Bayonet's , for the M65/71PFM...M65/71 Hirschfanger ... Wurttenberg M59 to M59/71 

I do believe the 60/71 must be it, I have a post somewhere on forum here with 3 for comparison , original M60,  a bushed one and one with new S71 crossguard

• 3 weeks later...

Matching S71

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A M60/71 with miss match scabbard, yet both are unit marked that I do not understand?

Anyone's help please

the Bayonet is 2.A.F.E.2.160

(2nd ersatz field Artillerie . 2nd company weapon 160???)

scabbard

5.R.A.F.5.156.       Have no idea

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

the Bayonet is 2.A.F.E.2.160

(2nd ersatz field Artillerie . 2nd company weapon 160???)

scabbard

5.R.A.F.5.156.       Have no idea

image.jpg

This and the previous one both nce examples!

"2.A.F.E.2.160 (2nd ersatz field Artillerie . 2nd company weapon 160???)" - almost right! Fussartillerie-Bataillon Nr.2, Ersatz Abteilung, 5 Kompagnie, Waffe 160 - 1890 and 1897 regulations

"5.R.A.F.5.157" an unusual one in the 1900 Prussian regulations for Reserve Fussartillerie-Regiment Nr.5, 5 Kompagnie, Waffe 157.

What I am unsure of is when Fussartillerie bataillons became regiments...

What does " fuss" in fussartillerie mean? Is it foot Artillerie?

Thank's Julian!

32 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

What does " fuss" in fussartillerie mean? Is it foot Artillerie?

Thank's Julian!

Indeed, foot artillery = heavy artillery, as opposed to the horse-drawn lighter field artillery

That sounds backwards, Horse drawn should be heavy to be able to pull heavy loads, not men?

Hey Julian, you never commented on the first bayonet I added to your post, if you could PLEASE!!!!

An M60/71. Cross guard marked

I.W.D.287.  I can not even guess?

scabbard has a replacement screw in center but the remains of unit ....  S.A.     C.1

all I know on that is "A" is Artillerie, do not know what "S or C" stand for.....  May be from earlier regulation? If you could, when you have spare time. I know you are buisy man with classes and all, thanks again.  Steve

• 3 months later...

Steve,

Here's a fairly recent find.  Both the crossguard and scabbard are marked 14R.R.14231, which I think is 14th Infantry Regiment, Reserve, No.14231.  One side of the ricasso is marked GEBR Weyersberg Solingen, the other side ERFURT under a crown.  The spine carries the crown mark, W and 81, for 1881.  

Mike.

SAM_2359.JPG.0da9f429789353090afd9ba71b3ef853.JPG

Edited by MikeyH

9 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Here's a fairly recent find.  Both the crossguard and scabbard are marked 14R.R.14231, which I think is 14th Infantry Regiment, Reserve, No.14231.  One side of the ricasso is marked GEBR Weyersberg Solingen, the other side ERFURT under a crown.  The spine carries the crown mark, W and 81, for 1881.  

This is a nice one! This is the 1877-1909 type marking for the Infanterie-Regiment Graf Schwerin(3. Pommersches) Nr. 14. The 'italic' 'R' before the regular 'R' is indeed for 'Reserve', but the numbers that come after the second 'R' for regiments are in two groups, '14' is larger than '231', and so Kompagnie 14, Waffe 231. Now, I think I am correct in saying that infantry regiments only had fourth batallions and so companies 13-16 in the period 1887-1890... Not certain on that - need to check sources rather than my notes on this! 

After 1909, the 'italic' 'R' before the regular 'R' is for a recruiting depot - but then there would be a single Waffe number using numbers all the same size.

Julian

Julian,

Many thanks, yes I forgot the . after 14.

Mike.