Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt George Douglas Hill 7th Hussars

Yorke Scarlett

I'm at present doing some research into the movements of the 3rd Hussars during First Ypres, but would like some clarification of a 7th Hussars officer attached.

An entry for the 20th October 1914 has a 'Lt Hill', attached from 7th Hussars commanding a forward troop of the 3rd Hussars at Gapaard he was 'severely wounded' before being recovered 'under heavy shrapnel and rifle fire by a Captain RAMC and an orderly'.

Would I be right in assuming that this would eventually be - Major George Douglas Hill RFC, commanding 27 Squadron?

Thanks in advance

"The 3rd Kings Own Hussars in the Great War 1914-1919" lists Lieutenant G D Hill as wounded 20/10/14 - http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/Cavalry-Yeomanry-Histories/library/The-3rd-Kings-Own-Hussars-in-the-Great-War-1914-1919/HTML/index.asp#/388/zoomed

Edit - You may have that, as it seems that the above account may have come from the same source.

In a word - yes.

His medal index card shows George Douglas Hill - 7th Hussars attd. 3rd Hussars, Lt. : 7th Hussars attd. R.F.C., Maj.

He entered France on 24.8.1914

In the notes on the back of the card is written - O/C 33rd Wing R.F.C. forwards roll of Officers entitled to the "1914 Star".

There are also three addresses - 7th Hussars, Mhow, India, and the date 24.1.21 : 55, Catherine St., Salisbury, no date : Halton House, Aylesbury 29.11.38

Thanks for the confirmation guys

Much appreciated

• 2 years later...

I'm very late replying to this thread but, yes, Harry is right. This is the same Douglas Hill. He was my maternal grandfather. After a spell in India, he lived in various places in the Salisbury, Wilts. area between the wars. He gave up flying after WWI. He was subsequently killed at Calais in May 1940, as part of Brig. Nicholson's staff. His daughter (my mother) is still alive, in her 90s.

Coggansfield