Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Idefatigable Jutland

Eddie171150

• 3 years later...

Hi Eddie 171150,

You are most likely aware but, just in case you are not, he is listed on the Killamarsh War Memorial as :

FIELDGeorge HenryCommisioned Royal Marine Gunner HMS "Indefatigable" Royal Marine Light Infantry Killed at the Battle of Jutland 31 May 1916 Age 35 Son of James Field of Woodall, Sheffield Husband of Amy Field of "The Traveller's Rest", Killamarsh 18 Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent

Regards,

Simon

• 4 years later...

The two survivors, Able Seaman Elliott and Leading Signalman Falmer, picked up by the S16 at 1950, were both stationed in the top, and thought that the Indefatigable had been torpedoed and sunk within 4 minutes. They tried to support Captain Sowerby in the water, but he was too badly wounded to survive

I read this above and it seems to be repeated in many books

I am examining the record of service (ADM188/701) of J.27399, Sig. John Bowyer RN

He served aboard HMS Indefatigable from 27 July 1915, joining the ship as Signal Boy, he was promoted Ord Sig on 26 Aug 1915 and then Sig on 4 Feb 1916.

He was aboard the ship at JUTLAND and his service record clearly states "PRISONER OF WAR IN GERMANY after the action of 31st May-1st June 16"

Do we have a third survivor or is one of the names in the accepted record incorrect ?

I am a bit late to arrive, but better late than never.

There was an administrative error whereby he was listed in "The Times" on 24 June 1916 as a survivor and POW - albeit as a crew member aboard HMS Nestor. There is a thread on here, which reproduces the screed from The Times, listing POWs from Nestor and Nomad.

So, if you take one away from Nestor, and add one to Indefatigable, you should get back to 177.

An administrative error that has been around for 100 years.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...