Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver Bernard Toal RFA 62438 - Discharged for Misconduct

jhancock

I've hit a brick wall in my family history research with my great-uncle Bernard Toal, who was a driver in the RFA both during and prior to the war - he shows up on the 1911 Census as being in the army. He disappears after WW1. Looking at the medal roll it says:

Forfeited. Discharged para 363 (xi) KR. 14.5.1924. Authority (?) NW/9/2017.

I understand that para 363 (xi) of the King's Regulations was misconduct. Can anyone tell me what the date signifies? Was it a release from jail for the misconduct? If so, where might I look to find out more information? Also, what does the NW/9.2017 mean?

Many thanks.

The Royal Artillery records held by Find My Past show he continued serving after the war under number 1034469. Extending his service on 31 March 1922 to a 12 year period of service. Discharged 14 May 1924 with character shown as 'Bad'.

Craig

Craig, I can't thank you enough! Just bought credits for FMP and note that my great-grandfather's name is given as next of kin with an address in Belfast. Last records of him were in New Jersey (he was a master mariner) after the death of my great-grandmother and four of their children - only my grandfather and Bernard survived and were sent back to Liverpool alone.

Oh dear! Thanks so much for looking.

It's quite possible he wanted out of the army and so played up and got in to trouble but it's hard to tell.

As he served on after the war the MOD, in theory, should still retain his records.

Craig

Craig, I can't thank you enough! Just bought credits for FMP and note that my great-grandfather's name is given as next of kin with an address in Belfast. Last records of him were in New Jersey (he was a master mariner) after the death of my great-grandmother and four of their children - only my grandfather and Bernard survived and were sent back to Liverpool alone.

No problem - happy to help.

Craig

• 3 years later...
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Pauline said:

Who was Bernard’s brother, your Grandfather.

i might be able to help.

Pauline

Welcome to the forum

JHancock hasn't logged in since September 2017 BUT if you reply to this post you will have made the necessary number of posts to access the Private Message system. Click on their user name and select message (the envelope). When you send the message they will automatically receive an email to the email address they registered with alerting them to your message.

Good luck.

David