Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
TEW

TNA diary gone AWOL

TEW

The diary in question is WO95/545, the bit I'm after is 330 Siege Battery May 1917-June 1918.

This time last year it had been removed to be digitised and then available for download in Feb 2015.

End of Feb 2015 it was pushed on to May. In May pushed on to June. In June pushed on to August.

Now it's disappeared altogether. Discovery gives you:

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

Request a quotation for a copy to be digitised or printed and sent to you.

And;-

CURRENT DOCUMENT AVAILABILITY: Please note that this piece may be amongst those which will be unavailable in the reading rooms for short periods of time in the next few months while we conserve and digitise it.

TNA's schedule gives:

Following digitisation, the scanned images go through quality assurance checks and digital preservation processes, before they are made available online on Discovery.

WO 95/572-700 20 February-20 April 2015
WO 95/701-800 6 March-8 May 2015
WO 95/801-900 13 March-22 May 2015
WO 95/901-1000 13 April-10 June 2015
WO 95/1001-1095 27 April-22 June 2015
WO 95/4965-5000 11 May-29 June 2015
WO 95/5001-5100 25 May-20 July 2015
WO 95/5101-5200 8 June-10 August 2015
WO 95/5201-5288 22 June-9 September 2015
So they've now gone way past the release date for WO95/545 but it's still not available as a download. In fact, none of the above diaries WO95/572-5288 are available.
TEW

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

See this thread regarding the long running saga of Heavy Artillery Group diary digitisation.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222726&page=3

Some have gone on in the last 3 weeks or so, but progress seems to have stopped.

The Discovery part of the NA site is offline completely today, whether that is related, I do not know.

What I find unacceptable is that there's no information about anticipated upload dates.

There is a timetable of when diaries were unavailable (you have quoted it above).

I've put off a trip to the NA already in the naive belief that these diaries would be online by now.

TEW

A number of posts in that thread suggest my WO95/545 should have been released long ago.

There was information about upload dates but now they seem to have abandoned correcting the information.

The timetable has also been abandoned.

WO95/545 and probably many others have just dropped off the radar.

TEW

David_Underdown

The dates given were when the main imaging and QA processes would have finished, and the document would then be available for ordering again in the reading room, not when it would be available online, which has never been published. Once a document has actually been released online, it will generally cease to be orderable in original form in the reading rooms again (as part of the reason for digitisation is to protect the originals from handling). Even once the main checking stages have been completed, there are still quite a few stages to go through before it can actually be made available online, and there's only such material that can be pushed through at once, and there are more digitisation projects going on than the war diaries. Nothing has dropped off the radar, and work is still going on (in fact we've been able to get through some more material this financial year than originally expected, the France and Flanders diaries have all been completed-in terms of imaging-and we've moved on to other theatres of war). Some QA may still be going on (having been on holiday I've slightly lost track), and as this involves checking images against originals, the originals are not released until that process ahs been completed.

TEW

David,

Thanks for that, I had assumed that the dates given would roughly equate to a diary being available online. The diary I was after was mentioned in a thread Oct 4th 2014 as being 'withdrawn for digitisation'.

An estimate request came back at £500+ so like the OP I think I'll just stick it out.

When I check Discovery and see This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded I take it to mean that it hasn't been digitised yet, which I thought odd having been withdrawn for digitisation over a year ago.

Thanks

TEW

Schoolie Sergeant

Is there any update on the diaries of 330 Siege Battery?   I am researching a number of soldiers from Thurlestone in Devon who served until 1919 with this Battery.  Did they get a pay increase if they agreed to serve on after the Armistice?

Derek Black
50 minutes ago, Schoolie Sergeant said:

Is there any update on the diaries of 330 Siege Battery?   I am researching a number of soldiers from Thurlestone in Devon who served until 1919 with this Battery.  Did they get a pay increase if they agreed to serve on after the Armistice?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/3eb0b106687144fca4729e469d02c156

ororkep

The correct internal NA ref is: WO95/545/4

no they did not get more pay ( actually just happen to be re-reading a book in which a gunner claims they were offered an increase from 1/- to 1/- 6p per day if signing on for Rhine Army)

P

Edited by ororkep