Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMS Dresden- hiding in Chilean fjords 1915

egbert

Remembering Naval Surgeons Fernand De Verteuil (Good Hope) and Arthur Tonkinson (Monmouth), two of the RNMS at Coronel.

Remembering Naval Surgeons Fernand De Verteuil (Good Hope) and Arthur Tonkinson (Monmouth), two of the RNMS at Coronel.

A salute down to the cold and wet eternal resting place at 1950m depth

post-80-0-53514700-1459005329_thumb.jpg

:poppy: :poppy:

Egbert what Cruise ship are you?

Really interesting photos.

Presumably your warping up warmly and suitable (liquid) emergency rations ready!

Today following the SMS Dresden into Valparaiso harbor. After the battle of Coronel, the German fleet replenished here, before sailing to the Falklands. Tomorrow we will follow their path back to the very southern tip Tierra del Fuego into the Chilean fjords. Passing again Coronel early in the morning and in 4 days I hope to have suitable daylight available to take pictures from Dresden's area of operation.

The following image is credited to Bundesarchiv.de and shows the German fleet leaving Valparaiso with the Chilean fleet anchored in the foreground

Then:

post-80-0-78534800-1459096093_thumb.jpg

Today we are finally back on the search for the Dresden. Back in the Magellan Straits. Had two meetings with our Chilean pilots who surprisingly had a lot of historical knowledge about the cruiser hiding here.

At first it seemed we are not so lucky, but then, suddenly, we detected her shadow beyond the rainbow.

post-80-0-86406800-1459389694_thumb.jpg

All the following pictures that will come the next two days will be actual pictures from the 1915 route and places the Dresden sailed and anchored here at the end of the world. Sadly I cannot help with Barbara- and Gonzales Channels. We are passing them right now in this moment and it is almost midnight and total darkness. With modern nav-aids we manage to sail,at 20knots through the long but narrow fjords. How much more difficult was it 1915

Remember the area of operation we are talking about. See legend at bottom for more explanations on this 1915 chart

post-80-0-53510600-1459391073_thumb.jpg

Great story, Egbert. And great pictures (as usual).

Roel

I can't see the ghost ships in your photos, Egbert, but they're magic all the same.

Regards,

MikB

Just to complement the above 1915 British Admiralty chart with a modern day chart: you clearly see the differences in accuracy then and now. The whole area was only mapped very rudimentary, mainly how Beagle saw it in the 19th century.

All partys then had no clear picture of geography, depth and accuracy of navigatable waters down here.

post-80-0-43711500-1459434187_thumb.jpg

I hope the following set of images will not become too boring as they seem to look all the same. Please feed back to me so I can adjust my posting pattern.

But I assure you they are taken from the actual sailing course like they saw it on the Dresden and the Brit cruisers Kent etc.

Pictures taken approximately from a height as the crew on Dresden saw it from their crows nest, so slightly higher than the commando bridge. As the area did not change since 102 years, no infrastructure, no settlements, no nothing, they could have been taken 1915.

All coming pictures from last night before daylight faded completely.

post-80-0-91300900-1459434838_thumb.jpg

Endless hiding places open up

What will be behind the next bending? An enemy ship or some frolocking whales?

post-80-0-87381900-1459435036_thumb.jpg

The passing icebergs were surely welcomed by all partys to replenish their refigeration- and cooling stores with necessary ice for all perishable food, but also only allowed a very slow speed to avoid collision

post-80-0-70795700-1459435318_thumb.jpg

SMS Dresden could not be found. Perhaps she is only a mere 5km as the crow flies, but actual at 50km navigable waterways hundreds of bendings away

post-80-0-45488100-1459436423_thumb.jpg

Now in the twilight zone there is nothing else to do for Brits and Germans 1915 as well as in 2016 to receive their rum rations and wait what the next day will bring....

post-80-0-09844100-1459436586_thumb.jpg

Just superb!

Amazingly atmospheric, Egbert ! Thank you for your photostream.

steve

Thanx guys for your feed-back.

May I recommend again the download of links in posts #22, the pilots report and in Michaels #23, second link, page 77ff .

Only by reading them you may understand the drama story that is hidden behind my pictures. Worthwhile a read!

Just anchored in Punta Arenas, where Dresden coaled from a German steamer for 2 days and left around the 14th of December only to find her lair further south in Magellan Strait until February 1915. Tomorrow we will be back in mentioned hiding- and search area.

Just to characterize and give an impression of Punta Arenas: I would not be amused to be buried here.....

A new day in the search for Dresden's hideouts. How frustrating must it have been to search the needle in the haystack.

And again- all coming pictures are from actual course either the Dresden sailed or the hound pack sailed. This is all 1915area views because untouched since until today.

Water supplies are plentyful for the fleet.

post-80-0-20902800-1459528269_thumb.jpg

SMS Dresden has only 75tons of coal left. The energy consumption in her lair which must be somewhere here is cut to a minimum. The crew is freezing as it started to snow here last night, down to 400m alt.

post-80-0-71211100-1459528603_thumb.jpg