Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals & Army Numbers

Jim Gordon

Can anyone tell me why, in the Territorial Force, pre-1917 4 figure numbers are engraved on "Pip", "Wilf" & "Squeak" instead of the 6 figure number allotted in Jan. 1917?

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

My understanding is that the details are supposed to reflect the regimental number and unit the man was originally in.

I have a trio to a TF in the ASC and his Medal Index Card not only shows the 14-15 Star has his original number on it but also that it had wrongly been marked with his new number and had to be re-engraved.

Ivor

Thank you for your response. I must admit I have never used the Medal Card Index. Does the Medal Card contain both numbers ?

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

The Medal Index Card shows the Regiment/Corps the soldier was in together with his regimental number.

In the example I mentioned the following is shown:

*Cpl T/968

A S C (T) Whlr/Cpl 2010

ASC Whlr/Cpl T4/248747

There is also a note on the MIC stating correct number is 968 and acknowledging the return of the Star.

The 14-15 Star shows Whlr Cpl with the number 2010

The Victory & BWM show Cpl with the number T-968

So this man appears to have had three numbers during his service with the ASC. 2010 which he had when he qualified for the 14-15 Star. His number was then changed to T4/248747 at some time and then to T/968.

Hope this helps you a little.

I must admit not knowing how the ASC numbering worked so if anyone can enlighten me please do.