Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lochgilphead 65 war memorial project

Raymond

Hi - for the past year my youth group have been trying to find out as much information on the 65 named on our villages (Lochgilphead) war memorial stone who died in WW1.

I have had some info from this site previously and have attached a copy of what we have found which may be of interest to people, We have not had much luck in tracking down many pictures however what we have we are going to make into a commemorative book and we are going to include names we have found that are not on our stone, Our council has said that we can petition for the names to be included which we are going to do.

I would be grateful if anyone had any further info on any of the names especially the ones highlighted in green.

We have a commemorative show planned for 11/11 in the high school and we have a wonderful letter from Archibald Campbell to his wife and the letter from the minister to the wife, which she received before the letter from her husband.

I hope we have posted in the correct forum

Kindest regards

RaymondWWI ROLL OF HONOUR Lochgilphead 65 Updated 18.09.2015.docx

Just for everyone's sake, this relates to a previous thread on this subject http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219994

The Names in green referred to are

Gillespie Campbell. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Private. 9591, not sure if this is correct
Can find nothing on this person at all Other G Campbell’s: 1892, 2164, S/16257.
William Grant. Scots Guards. Private. Can find nothing on this person total confusion over this guy. We have 7281. 17959, 322781, 12278, keeps coming back to the WC Grant we have.
John MacDonald . A.S.C. Private. S/310242 Need to check for accuracy. Can find nothing on this person
Daniel MacEwan. Australian Imperial Forces. Corporal. 4487. Died 3rd May 1917, France
Your best chance for photos may be your local newspaper archives, as there may be reports of woundings etc.
It might be worth forming a sub group for that task.
There may also be records of the War Memorial Committee in the archives, so checking that may be of use.
You obviously know of the pitfalls from changed spellings etc!
There are 42 on CWGC for Lochgilphead, you might want to cross check..
surname forename initials
CAMERON JOHN HUNTER J H
CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD A
CAMPBELL DONALD D
CAMPBELL MALCOLM McLARTY M M
CAMPBELL-ORDE JOHN VERNON J V
CARSWELL W A
CRAWFORD D
CRAWFORD DONALD D
CUMMINGS JOHN J
DARROCH J
FLETCHER J
GRAY ALISTER NEIL A N
GRAY J
GRAY JOHN J
KENNEDY W
LAMBERT WILLIAM ARTHUR W A
LEITCH A N
LEITCH DUNCAN D
LEITCH N
MACFARLANE PARLANE P
MACPHERSON WILLIAM POLLOCK W P
MacCALLUM NEIL N
MacDOUGALL DUNCAN D
MacEWAN MALCOLM M
MacGILP JOHN J
McARTHUR DUNCAN D
McARTHUR JOHN J
McDONALD DUNCAN D
McGILP ARCHIBALD A
McKAY DONALD G. D G
McKECHNIE ANGUS A
McLAINE SAMUEL ALEXANDER S A
McLELLAN HUGH H
McLELLAN P
McLULLICH DUNCAN GILLIES D G
McNAIR ARCHIBALD A
McNIVEN ALEXANDER A
McVICAR NEVIN N
ORR ARCHIBALD A
SMITH ARCHIBALD MacBRAYNE A M
TODD WILLIAM W
TURNER DUNCAN D
As regards John Bain, he was the only death on Grenadier at that time, shown as drowned. I'll see if anything further turns up in Sussex records.
EDIT: Your Daniel MacEwan is Daniel McEwan. His Autralian papers can be viewed at the National Archives of Australia here http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/ItemsListing.aspx
McEWAN, DANIEL. Rank: Private. Service No: 4487. Date of Death: 03/05/1917.
Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 19th Bn.
Panel Reference: Memorial: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL
Good Luck!

Hi - for the past year my youth group have been trying to find out as much information on the 65 named on our villages (Lochgilphead) war memorial stone who died in WW1.

I have had some info from this site previously and have attached a copy of what we have found which may be of interest to people, We have not had much luck in tracking down many pictures however what we have we are going to make into a commemorative book and we are going to include names we have found that are not on our stone, Our council has said that we can petition for the names to be included which we are going to do.

I would be grateful if anyone had any further info on any of the names especially the ones highlighted in green.

We have a commemorative show planned for 11/11 in the high school and we have a wonderful letter from Archibald Campbell to his wife and the letter from the minister to the wife, which she received before the letter from her husband.

I hope we have posted in the correct forum

Kindest regards

Raymondattachicon.gifWWI ROLL OF HONOUR Lochgilphead 65 Updated 18.09.2015.docx

Since there has been previous discussion on another thread of Private Duncan McDonald, Non-Combatant Corps, died accidentally on a railway line, France, 4 June 1916, aged 28, in specific connection with the Lochgilphead 65 project, I am puzzled by his listing on the present draft Roll of Honour as "Duncan MacDonald, Life Guards NCC, Born Lochgilphead".

If this is a class exercise, I would have thought that scrupulous attention to detail would have been paramount, so it is not clear why

There is variation in the spelling of the surname

There is introduction of attribution to the Life Guards - if this is/was a combatant regiment, an impossible combination with the NCC

There is no mention of date or circumstances of death, whereas these are mentioned in the case of others listed

There is no mention of age, whereas this is mentioned in other cases..

Hi Magnumbellum - thanks for the heads up on Duncan McDonald, I have changed the Surname as suggested and have now added in the information supplied previously.

Kindest regards

Raymond :poppy:

Does this help?

Todd, William Captain - Born June 26, 1876, in Glasgow, he was the son of George and Clare Todd of Glasgow, the husband of Allyce Todd of Duncraoibhan, Lochgilphead, Argyll and the father of George (born 1908) and Elizabeth (born 1910). He was educated at Kelvinside Academy and St. Andrew's, and was an architect in civil life. In 1905 he was promoted to Lieutenant in the Volunteers, and 9 August 1914 he was promoted to Captain. On 28 June 1915 he was wounded by a Turkish shell while selecting a new position for his guns during the Battle of Gully Ravine and died the following day, age 39. He is remembered on Helles Memorial. Spr. A. Jennett and Spr. G. Packard of the 1st West Riding Field Company, Royal Engineers (TF) both received the DCM for rescuing Capt. Todd from the battlefield from an exposed position under heavy fire, crossing over a wire entanglement to do so, although the date given on the citation in the LG is 28 April. (LG 6 Sep 1915). According to the 29th Div. Arty. War Record Book, he served “from landing to 29 June 1915, AMB (Died)*

* In a letter to The Buteman and West Coast Chronicle, Gunner A. Tweedly quoted a letter from Simpson-Baikie to Captain Burney dated 30 June 1915, “I am just sending these few lines to tell you how sorry I was to hear of the losses sustained by your battery in yesterday’s action. I am particularly sorry to hear of the death of Lieut Mackenzie and of Captain Todd’s very bad wound. We all realize that your battery is always up in the front trenches and in the very thick of the fighting and I assure you that the very hard work of your officers and men is much appreciated and we regulars are proud to have such gallant fellows as yours fighting alongside with us.” Gunner Tweedly added that Captain Todd had since died of his wounds. “We all felt sorry at losing such fine officers. They were both heroes and were good to their men.

Mike Morrison

• 3 years later...

Hi I’m looking for William Grant  my mums uncle. He was in the WW1 his number was 17959. Which I see on your thread.  Did you ever find more info on. WC Grant.   My mums uncle survived and came home.