Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Obituary required from Liverpool Newspapers - 2nd 1/4 of 1961

Medaler

Hi,

I recognise that this is a long shot, but let me first explain why I am looking for it.

In researching the fallen of Barrow Hill near Chesterfield in Derbyshire, I have been aware that one of our casualties (David Richardson) died in German hands 3 days after his ship was sunk by a U-Boat in the Western Approaches.

The Liverpool connection concerns the Captain/Master of the ship concerned, the SS Obuasi. He was one Percy Albert Sola. I have ascertained that he was born in Wandsworth registration district on 3rd March 1878, and that he married Alice Pankhurst in the Thanet registration district during 1904. The 1911 Census shows her living in Grimsby with their 5 year old son Victor Albert Sola. Percy is "missing" on this Census and the one for 1901, presumably because he was at sea when they were both conducted.

The Obuasi was sunk in 1917 and, of the 3 crew members picked up by the U-Boat, Percy was ultimately the only survivor.

Having also ascertained that Percy Sola's death was recorded in Liverpool South registration district during the June 1/4 of 1961, I am anxious to see any obituaries that may have been published at the time. Unfortunately, being of such a "recent" date, the local papers (in particular the Liverpool Echo) are, so far as I am aware, not available online.

It is likely that an obituary may mention something of the sinking of the Obuasi because Percy was decorated for his gallantry on that occasion. In its turn, that may shed light on the fate of David Richardson.

So.................

If any Forum member is anywhere near the old Liverpool newspapers for April - June 1961 for their own research, could I please ask that you see what you can find for me?

I will happily pay any expenses for scans etc, and the cost of posting them to me. If you feel you can help, please drop me a PM or add a comment to the thread.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Mike

I take it you have seen this?

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?13656#107490

Hi Johnboy,

Yes, I have seen that - and very useful it is too. Notice those Queenstown Destroyers again?

(http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231338&hl=)

I just can't keep away from them at the moment - LOL!!

There are useful bits here too.......

http://uboat.net/wwi/boats/successes/u49.html

and here............

http://www.greatwar.eclipse.co.uk/WWImore/Bradbeer_RJE_more.htm

The mystery I am trying to solve this time around is partly pointing me to the obituary for Sola to see if there is any description of the action in it, but would also as very useful context information regarding his life, career and time as a POW. My real project is Richardson, but it can never hurt to have some insight into the man he was working for. An obituary with a photo of him would be major bonus for me.

Thanks for contributing Johnboy - always a pleasure to "see" you.

Warmest regards,

Mike

As the two gunners have no known grave it has to be assumed that they were buried at sea. Whether they were wounded during or after the skirmish will probably be never known unless there is something from the Master somewhere.

I assume that this is known to you as well?

https://staveleyremembers.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/richardson-david-life.pdf

BillyH.

Hi BillyH,

Many thanks for picking up that reference. Yes, that piece is also known to me, in fact, I know the author quite well.

Sincere thanks for contributing,

Mike

Any U Boat log? Any statement in POW records?

Hiya again Johnboy,

The first avenue you mention is being looked into. As for the second, I have tried the Red Cross site but not found anything. Then again, I do struggle with that website sometimes! It all seems a bit "user antagonistic" - but that is probably more a statement about the abilities of this particular user!

I still think an Obituary for Sola will add something unique, if I can track one down.

The only area that I have not looked at (so far as I am aware) is the citation for his DSC. That is where I plan to go next, but I need to "bone up" on where to look for naval / merchant marine awards. I did have a cursory glance at the London Gazette, but could not find anything. Again, that may have been how I was looking.

One more thing I have picked up on, but not important to any military line of enquiry. The maiden surname of his wife was Pankhurst. That sent me off on a bit of a tangent, but I have not made any connection with the famous one. Again, I need more time on that with the Census returns, but it may make an interesting adjunct to the story if I do find something.

There also seems to be a reference him on a tree on "MyHeritage" - but I have not chased that down either yet.

The real "gold dust" would be finding some mention of Richardson's injuries, how he got them, how is was cared for, if he died on the U-Boat or was transferred onto another vessel, where his burial at sea took place, a description of how it was carried out and who was involved. Yeah, I know "fantasy island" stuff, but if you don't have those questions in mind you ain't never going to find the answers - well, that's my approach anyway.

Again, my sincere thanks for your input - it is always appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Ha,

A trip back to the Gazette has produced.............

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13467/page/2264

and

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31365/page/6652

and

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31965/page/7229

So it was a DSO and not a DSC as found elsewhere.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Johnboy,

That is very interesting stuff. On reading it I looked up the Wartenfels and found this.....

http://uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=81

The fate described as "1 May 1917 - Torpedoed W of Ireland at 51.33N, 13.38W by HM Sub E54. 29 dead and 7 survivors."

Whilst I have always been aware that U-Boats were used in WW1, it has only been since I started to look at sailors that I have begun to get a tiny grasp of how important they were. It is a new world for me, but giving a better grasp of the war as a whole. Those sub to sub encounters (and there seem to have been a few) must have been very challenging for both sides.

Warmest regards,

Mike

It is a new world for me, but giving a better grasp of the war as a whole

I agree!

I hadn't realised that the u boats took prisoners. I doubt it was for interrogation purposes. In the case being discussed, why take two wounded men?

I doubt the Captain had any information to give. Three extra mouths to feed from the crews rations and an extra three men in very confined conditions.

Would it also mean the u boat breaking off its patrol to land them? What route would they have taken back to Germany? Be good to be able to find a log of a u boat in the same circumstances.

It is a new world for me, but giving a better grasp of the war as a whole

I agree!

I hadn't realised that the u boats took prisoners. I doubt it was for interrogation purposes. In the case being discussed, why take two wounded men?

I doubt the Captain had any information to give. Three extra mouths to feed from the crews rations and an extra three men in very confined conditions.

Would it also mean the u boat breaking off its patrol to land them? What route would they have taken back to Germany? Be good to be able to find a log of a u boat in the same circumstances.

Lots of very good questions!

Certainly in the days before the Germans went to "unrestricted" submarine warfare they made sure that everyone got into the ships lifeboats before they sank the ship. I know in the case of the Obuasi that more than 50 of the crew were picked up by one of those Queenstown Destroyers, but they got away whilst Sola, Bradbeer and Richardson stayed to put up a fight. The 2 sailors who stayed behind to man their new 12 pounder and the Captain were the only prisoners taken. I have a nagging thought that they may not have been wounded before they were captured, my suspicions being alerted by the fact that they both died on the same day. I don't like coincidences like that.

One very interesting thing that turned up from the London Gazette. Did you notice the date of Sola's appointment to Lieutenant? The day before his ship was sunk. That looks like the Admiralty doing their bit to ensure that he was treated as a captured serving officer rather than a Civilian. More delving required!

The trouble I have is that, knowing nothing about sailors, makes it difficult to know where to look. I just have to follow my instincts. I presume that after the war ended Sola would have been given some sort of de-briefing, and that a record was made somewhere of his account. Unfortunately, I have no idea if that would have survived or where to look for it. I reckon the award of the DSO made in 1919 was quite possibly influenced by his account of what happened. Again, I presume that somewhere an actual citation may survive, but do not know where to look.

The more I think about it, the more loose ends there seem to be that need chasing up. As you can gather, I love a mystery!

Warmest regards,

Mike

A bit more info............

Just had a look on Ancestry at Navy lists - Last entry for Sola shows him as a Lieutenant-Commander in 1949. Lots of mentions in lots of lists - they will keep me quiet for a while!

Regards,

Mike

The DSO award seems quite common for Captains who managed, by their actions to save crew, or give them time to get away by staying on their ship to the last. Don't ask me where I read that! I'll have another try at finding it.

Many thanks Johnboy.

None of this is helped by the fact that, despite having been a medal collector for 40 years, I have largely ignored gallantry awards - Humph!

Warmest regards,

Mike

Thanks Johnboy,

I don't know where you found that, but it makes very interesting reading. The good news being that if anything like that survives for U 49, it will doubtless have a lot of detail in it.

I have been concentrating on trying to build up a picture of Percy's life, because the information I have for him is starting to accumulate. I am still at the very beginning of that process but have established that he was the son of an Italian immigrant from Piedmont. His mother, Maria Woods, would however seem to have been an English girl.

Althought Percy was born in 1878 at Battersea, I note from the 1881 Census that Ignazio (his father) was working as a Butler in Bournemouth, which may therefore have been where Percy first came into contact with the sea.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Although most of what I found has no direct connection with your man it gives a feel for what went on.

Although most of what I found has no direct connection with your man it gives a feel for what went on.

Indeed it does - and is most welcome. All your contributions are always most welcome.

1891 Census shows him aged 13yrs living in Mile End as a boarder. Scholar. No other boarders. Head of household Charles Salter Teacher Elementary School.

Got his Certificate of Competency as Master of a Foreign Going Ship 22.5.1901.

Record of him being Lt Commander from 7/7/15

Navy List 1923 shows Royal Naval Reserve .....Retired

Johnboy,

You are ahead of me!

I mentioned that I had found Percy's wife on the 1911 Census - and uncovered another mystery. She had her mother-in-law living with her (shades of Les Dawson). The mother-in-law (Maria) is described as a widow, yet his father did not die until the 1920's. Looks like all was not necessarily sweetness and light between Maria and Ignazio! I don't want to get too deep into his family, but feel that I might go a little further on that score now. He was not an only child, I do know that much and there may be clues amongst his siblings.

Regards,

Mike

Just to side track you

From a Public Tree on Ancestry Ldg Seaman David Richardson and the ship SS Obuasi

post-99311-0-84475300-1442609988_thumb.j

post-99311-0-95970800-1442609962_thumb.j

Johnboy,

How on earth did you do that?

I have never before seen either a picture of Richardson or the Obuasi. They are both darned good pictures too. What a splendid looking ship she was.

That is no sidetrack, that is the main line. Richardson is the reason I am after Sola.

I do not know how to thank you for those - brilliant!

Warmest regards,

Mike