Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

danny

Hi All

This is my first post so I hope I get this right. I am trying to find out how I would go about finding information regarding my grandfather's incarceration. He was captured on the 20th September during 3rd Ypres and spent the rest of the war in a camp but no-one has any more details beyond a few anecdotes. He served with the 1/4 Gordon Highlanders who were a territorail unit and I also believe that his service records were destroyed during the raid in 1940. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Danny

If you can get to the Public Record Office at Kew there is a file on the activities of an Imperial Committee set up to check claims of POW mistreatment. Returning men (not all) were interviewed and the statements are indexed.

He might be in there but he might not.

If he is there's a chance of detail on where/how captured, where kept etc. and the file is cross referenced so you might be able to find out other snippets about general conditions at certain camps.

Bernard Lewis

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The PRO reference is WO 161:

WO 161/95-96: Officers

WO 161/97: Medical Officers

WO 161/98-100:ORs

WO 161/101: Index

Ian

:)

The file is in a medium that will never catch on - good old fashioned paper! From memory a small bundle arrives tied in pink string and you have to look through several name indexes to see if your man is there. Easy.

Typically, my man wasn't there but had he been you would need to note his index reference and ask for that file to be produced too.

Bernard Lewis

Yes Bernard you are correct. WO161/101 is the index to all the interviews. It is a very comprehensive index.

DO NOT get this series out unless you've got nothing else to do. The interviews are so fascinating that I spent 2 hours having a 'quick look'.

Michael